Photo: Aiming for a higher level in Lamphun.

Travel technology forum

usb security, password security?

Posted by qwertyjjj on 3/3/2012 at 14:52

What's the best way to protect passwords from keyloggers and usb viruses in internet cafes in SE Asia?

#1 qwertyjjj has been a member since 16/5/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by swag on 3/3/2012 at 17:57

Hi when travelling I take a 8GB USB stick with me. If you do a search on portable apps there is free software to download. This allows you have all your Bookmarks, documents with sensitive info etc that runs like a separate hard drive when being used in Internet cafes etc. I then have a product called Rohos mini drive installed on the stick. http://www.rohos.com/. This allows 2GB of encrypted chapter on your stick. You then cut and paste the sensitive stuff from your portable apps into the encrypted Rohos chapter, leaving you the remaining space on your stick for non sensitive stuff like photos.
hope this helps
cheers

#2 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331
 Send swag a private message 

Posted by busylizzy on 3/3/2012 at 18:43

It's an interesting question about key logging. I've wondered before if using the on-screen keyboard in Windows would enable the same sort of key logging as entering on a physical keyboard (esp when logging into bank accounts, etc).

Hmmm okay, so curiosity got the better of me and I used my friend google to see what I could find out. According to this site: http://ask-leo.com/will_using_an_on_screen_keyboard_stop_keyboard_loggers_and_hackers.html (one of the first that came up), online keyboards may eliminate some threats, but it won't stop all.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by qwertyjjj on 4/3/2012 at 02:11

I used to use something called RoboForm2Go that encrypts the password and runs off your drive but it all relies on having permissions on the internet cafe computer to do that.
A lot of internet cafes will not allow you to run software from your USB stick.

#4 qwertyjjj has been a member since 16/5/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by swag on 4/3/2012 at 16:08

I won't go into all of the technical stuff here as it leaves me a bit cold, but if you have a detailed look at the Rohos site it explains in detail how you can do this without needing admin rights to computers in public places.

#5 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331
 Send swag a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.