Photo: Aiming for a higher level in Lamphun.

Travel technology forum

android apps for itinerary building?

Posted by fernwood on 8/9/2013 at 10:38

Hi all

I've just realized that it would be really helpful to have an app to help me visualize and fill in my itinerary. I'm doing research, creating bookmarks, pasting into documents, putting post-its into books,,,it's all good, but it's unwieldy. What I'd like to be able to do is to put all the information onto a map somehow (I love maps!). Then when I found myself in the middle of Laos with a day to spare, I could have a look to see if I'd discovered anything interesting in the area. (or talk to people there, of course!). Or if we really liked somewhere, I could more easily see where we could pass on going to. Any suggestions? Thank you.

#1 fernwood has been a member since 5/9/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by busylizzy on 9/9/2013 at 18:42

I have been using MapsWithMe . You can download maps by country which is handy when offline and/or you can't get a signal. I just upgraded to the Pro version yesterday which allows you to search, but more importantly drop pins to bookmark places of interest. When adding a pin you can also cut and paste notes (eg from Travelfish) you can reference.

I'm currently in Teenage, a relatively remote island in Indonesia and found this to be a better map than Google maps, surprisingly.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 10/9/2013 at 04:25

Teenage?! That should have been Ternate, in Indonesia. I blame auto correct on the phone. :-/

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153

Posted by fernwood on 10/9/2013 at 09:09

Hi busylizzy-that's why I couldn't find Teenage Island :) I thought you'd found an island so far off the beaten track it wasn't Googleable! I like the idea of Mapswithme...trying to figure out what I think about Thai maps having Thai lettering, though-not sure if it's a plus (I could point to the map in Thailand and ak for directions) or a minus (I can't read it!).

#4 fernwood has been a member since 5/9/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by busylizzy on 10/9/2013 at 17:39

That's interesting about Thai maps. Hadn't download that one yet....

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153

Posted by busylizzy on 10/9/2013 at 17:39

That's interesting about Thai maps. Hadn't download that one yet....

#6 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153

Posted by riderol on 21/5/2014 at 02:51

I like to rent a car while travelling in countryside and few times already I used this app to find a car for a rent http://www.carrentalsmarket.com/android/. It will allow you to find best deals from anywhere any time. You can choose your location, dates and type of car you want.

#7 riderol has been a member since 18/5/2014. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.