Photo: Aiming for a higher level in Lamphun.

Travel technology forum

Saving my hardrive.

Posted by neosho on 13/12/2013 at 19:36

A few months ago I managed to spill a full cup of coffee onto my laptop keyboard. I have since bought a new one. The old one will turn on but with a blank screen. Does anyone think the hardrive might still be good to salvage some information, pictures, etc from? I don't want to drag a boat anchor around for nothing.

#1 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by busylizzy on 13/12/2013 at 23:27

Yes there is a good chance that the HD is fine. When my laptop crapped out while traveling a few years ago I removed the hard drive and tossed out the laptop. I bought a cheap case for it in Singapore for maybe $15 or so. I still use it as an external backup drive for non essential stuff.

That's assuming the liquid didn't get into the hard drive itself of course.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by neosho on 14/12/2013 at 19:41

Thank you. I thought it might be so I guess I eventually some where to have it checked out.

#3 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.