Photo: Aiming for a higher level in Lamphun.

Travel technology forum

Size of tablet used on your travel

Posted by mikal83 on 13/5/2015 at 10:50

We have read the laptop v tablet questions and have decided that taking a laptop is not our option due to size and weight....a tablet will suffice.
What size is yours? Are you happy with that size or would have thought a bigger/smaller one would have been better.
We will be using ours for just storing pix from a camera, maybe a few videos but mainly for email/social media/booking flights/hotels etc.

#1 mikal83 has been a member since 19/1/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 140
 Send mikal83 a private message   Where has mikal83 been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 14/5/2015 at 11:09

"We" (meaning my wife and daughter) use a Chinese made Android Tablet. It's an 8 incher. Bought it for about 75 bucks (2,000 baht at the time). Had it for over two years now and does the trick just fine. Photo ap isn't the best though. Photo quality is OK. But if you already have yours and are happy with the quality of the photos it produces, that's all that counts. Wifi is so ubiquitous now, at least in Thailand, that we have no problem finding a connection anywhere we stay. I agree with you on the laptop.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by TerroirTravel on 17/7/2015 at 12:49

Hi, I've been carrying an iPad mini in an Otterbox case for the past 1.5 years. No problems or issues, and yes, there's wifi everywhere in SE Asia. I can easily slide it into a ziploc bag, which protects it from splashing or rain if I find I'm caught in weather. The case definitely adds a little weight, but compared to a laptop, no contest, especially since I have dropped it several times to no negative effect.

The picture and video quality is pretty good, and there are filters and enhancements that you can apply (at least to the pictures). The Panorama feature is a great bonus.

#3 TerroirTravel has been a member since 1/2/2014. Posts: 76
 Where has TerroirTravel been? 

Posted by Nia on 28/9/2015 at 05:15

The smaller the better, I would say,for the purposes you need it for. You probably need an entry-level tablet, or a small tablet; that way you wont be too worried about losing it, and it easily fits into a pocket or a small bag. I would suggest you set up a photo storage service in the cloud so you can upload photos as you go. Imagine how upsetting it would be to lose the photos stored on your tablet if it is lost or stolen –with something like Flickr you can safeguard your photos no matter what.

#4 Nia has been a member since 25/9/2015. Posts: 5

Posted by mikal83 on 28/9/2015 at 08:29

Bought an Acer 8'' able and am writing from our Bangkok hotel

#5 mikal83 has been a member since 19/1/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 140
 Send mikal83 a private message   Where has mikal83 been? 

Posted by Gogomobile on 29/9/2015 at 00:21

Don't even need a tablet. A large smart phone does the trick. Phone, internet and camera all in one.

#6 Gogomobile has been a member since 14/4/2015. Posts: 412

Posted by myjimmy on 28/6/2017 at 21:04

Mine is 13inches and it has no problem for carrying it. but you probably won't need that much of laptop since you got the smartphone.

#7 myjimmy has been a member since 12/6/2017. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.