Photo: Aiming for a higher level in Lamphun.

Travel technology forum

Can you use a Verizon iPhone on GSM ?

Posted by pobrien1902 on 12/9/2017 at 14:14

I have a Verizon locked iPhone 6 Plus. I'll be traveling to South East Asia for a few months and would like to use the phone while traveling by buying a sim card in each country I visit. I should be able to get the phone unlocked, but am finding conflicting info on whether I'll be able to use a Verizon phone even if it is unlocked. I know that traditionally Verizon phones only worked on CDMA but have also read that newer phones are compatible with both CDMA and GSM networks.

Do you know if Verizon iPhone 6 phones are compatible to use over GSM networks in Asia? Thanks in advance!

#1 pobrien1902 has been a member since 4/5/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/9/2017 at 21:26 admin

I wasn't sure about the answer to this, so I went to the horse’s mouth (Verizon) and found a near identical question to yours from a couple of years ago which has an answer from a Verizon rep saying yes it will work.

They said:

"We're glad you reached out to us so we can assist with your service questions while traveling. Our 4G LTE devices are unlocked to work with international SIM cards. All you have do is insert it and make sure CMDA is disabled in Settings>Cellular>Roaming."

You can see the thread and answer here.

Hope that helps.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,842
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.