Photo: Aiming for a higher level in Lamphun.

Travel technology forum

Memory card stress

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/9/2008 at 18:43 admin

One of the great things about the web, is it brings together those who have the info and those that need it.

So here's a link to a blog entry by someone who really, absolutely, should definitely be already travelling rather than, well, comparing the read and write speeds of digital camera memory cards.

So if you're in the market for good, fast flash cards for your camera, the following is well worth a look.

Comparing camera memory card speeds

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,644
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by brucemoon on 3/5/2009 at 07:15

Every camera/card user will have a hard luck story about problem memory cards, 'lost' pics, etc.

As per the article you cite, I've moved over to Sandisk Ultra III cards. They are faster. But unless one is in low light or 'flash' situations few would know the difference.

I originally purchased a Sandisk Ultra III because I was going to a wedding and wanted to get pic storage quickly (without having to wait inordinate amounts of time between shots).

After using the Sandisk Ultra III, I also found less 'noise' on daytime picture quality. Hence I bought more.

As a word of warning to users. Even though many camera's nowadays can accept high gig cards (eg. 20gig + +), avoid these.

No memory card is perfect. Sometimes the card fails. Sometimes the card remains OK, but digital images are 'lost' (with the right software, most are recoverable).

And how often have you heard about someone having their camera lost or stolen "with all the photos of my trip". It happens!

Limit your cards to 2gig MAXIMUM. Take as many cards as you like, but don't take any more than 2gig.

This way, you can move to a new card if one fails, or copy the images to a CD and re-use later (etc).

#2 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by Mike_V on 2/11/2009 at 10:05

Rob Galbraith is the king of comparing memory card and memory card reader speeds:

#3 Mike_V has been a member since 2/11/2009. Posts: 11

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.