Photo: Aiming for a higher level in Lamphun.

Travel technology forum

Skype headsets in internet cafes

Posted by Jleef on 23/7/2009 at 03:22

Quick question - how common are headsets already provided in internet cafes across SE Asia? Will be using skype to phone home and just wondering if I should bring my own (albeit something else to drag around!) or hope the majority of internet access points I use have them already. Thanks.

#1 Jleef has been a member since 6/7/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 36
 Website 

Posted by Tilapia on 10/8/2009 at 00:23

I found that many of the internet cafes I went into a few months ago had these available, as well as webcams. But considering how many people use the headsets, and the various degrees of hygiene observed, it would probably be a good idea to bring your own regardless.

Also, I found that if a place did not have Skype, they would download it just to get my business.

Cheers.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,495
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by williamtaylor on 10/8/2009 at 06:47

I would recommend buying a webcam with a built-in microphone as the headphones can be a bit bulky. Should only cost you around 30 dollars for something decent. I have had good experiences with Logicool products.

#3 williamtaylor has been a member since 9/6/2009. Location: Japan. Posts: 29
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by BruceMoon on 10/8/2009 at 08:04

JLeef

You don't say which countries.

In the major towns where travellers go throughout Vietnam, Malaysia, and Thailand, nearly every 'cafe has some (at least one set).

Laos & Cambodia is OK in most of the major tourist towns, but not all. The problem is that net speed here is unreliable.

As you've probably read, I'm a light as possible traveller. Having said that, my wife has a frail 91 YO father. We take a mobile phone and talk. We buy a local sim card as call costs in SE Asia (except Cambodia) are REALLY REALLY cheap.

Cheers

#4 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.