Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

Some good guest houses and English speaking guides- Hue,Hoi An and BMT

Posted by jackfamily on 24/4/2007 at 15:55

We (2 adults and 3 children) have just returned from a month in Vetnam. I thought you might find some of these recommendations helpful.

Halo Guest House in Hue - small and friendly, quiet street, first floor family room has great balcony and the staff will bring you breakfast up there. Cost us $15.00 per night B and B for all 5 of us. Tel 054.829371 email: huehalo@yahoo.com 10A/66 Le Loi Hue

Thien Nga Guest House in Hoi An- really really clean- best banana and mixed fruit juice for breakfast- quiet views across back of hotel over fields, 5 min cycle ride from main street , and best of all- great pool.

Cookery class at Hong Phuc restaurant in Hoi An was my childrens highlight of whole trip. Most people seem to take a half day class with Red School but I found them inflexible. Miss Ly at Hong Phuc speaks excellent English, the food was great and in a really relaxed attitude.

Boun Ma Thuot in central highlands. we stayed at Damsan Hotel which I would not really recommend apart from the pool. Massage service was useless and they demanded huge tip afterwards. But really great guide;
Nguyen Huu Tam (or Tam for short) email huutam9999@yahoo.com or 0913421053(mob). We booked him through the tourist office but you might as well book him direct then at least he earns a decent wage. Spoke good English- understood we did not want to tour around the 'sites' so arranged for 3 motorbikes to take us out and about stopping at all sorts of local cafes for local delicacies, climbing off the road into the paddy fields to talk to the farmers etc etc.

Hope that info helps someone!!

#1 jackfamily has been a member since 14/1/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/4/2007 at 16:48 admin

Many thanks for the report -- much appreciated.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.