Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

2 Months- Which Countries?

Posted by Tweishaar on 31/8/2014 at 15:35

My friend and I have 2 months to travel in S.E.A. That said, Id like to hit Thailand, Laos , Cambodia and Vietnam.

Is 2 months a good enough chunk of time to comfortably hit all 4 countries? If not, I was thinking of excluding Laos.

-Must see/do : Diving , snorkeling , Temple running, occasional partying, beaching, Jungle trekking , Marketing.

-I do not want to feel rushed through things, but Id like to enjoy all the highlights, on and off the beaten path.

-Money is not really an issue on this excursion

-Also , if you think maybe one country is a must see , more than another, I would be interested in hearing your opinion.

Thanks very much!!

#1 Tweishaar has been a member since 31/8/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by antoniamitchell on 1/9/2014 at 01:39

Marketing????

That's the first time I've heard that listed as a SE Asia highlight!

In all seriousness, 2 months may feel like a long time when you're planning, but it does go fast on the ground. Distances can be long and transport slow, so people often find they're covering less ground than they thought they would. You say you don't want to feel rushed but trying to fit in lots of places is an ideal way to feel rushed. You also mention wanting sometimes to get off the beaten path - well, that takes more time than the well-trod route does (less frequent and slower buses, etc). So I'd recommend against trying to fit 4 countries into 2 months.

I'm guessing this is your first trip to the region, so I'm going to recommend that you allocate a big chunk of your time to Thailand (it offers pretty much everything you mention above). Throw in Cambodia for a few weeks if you want to do Angkor, or Vietnam for a very different feel than Thailand.

Have fun!

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 492
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by exacto on 1/9/2014 at 17:55

We did a two-month trip through Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia back in 2006. We didn't feel rushed, but didn't get to all the places we'd hoped to visit either. antonia is right. That two months seems like a lot of time when planning but will go by fast on the ground. Because of their similarities and proximity, most folks pick Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia for a two month trip. You could do Vietnam instead of Laos if you wish, but it will cut a bit into the time you have available for the other countries.

If money isn't really and issue, then a few key flights will save you valuable time - like Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang or Bangkok to southern Thailand or to/from Siem Reap or Phnom Penh.

For most folks, starting and ending in Thailand is a good choice due to logistics. Plus, Thailand is a bit easier to figure out than nearby countries, which will help you settle in nicely. Save some beach time for relaxing at the end of your trip. Have a great time. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,651
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Tweishaar on 1/9/2014 at 23:40

Thanks you two, I appreciate the repliies.

#4 Tweishaar has been a member since 31/8/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by FoundVagabond on 10/9/2014 at 20:03

It is enough time to at least see the highlights of each country.

I would not skip Laos - Luang Prabang is the coolest city in the whole region and it is very inexpensive. Plus the slow boat on the Mekong from there to northern Thailand is magical.

#5 FoundVagabond has been a member since 25/8/2014. Posts: 6

Posted by foodtravellife on 21/9/2014 at 09:45

In terms of highlights, then as mentioned earlier, you might consider spending more time in Thailand as there's so many 'highlights', and you can do everything on your list there. Sounds like fun, enjoy!

FoundVagand, what is this slow boat from Mekong to northern Thailand? Sounds interesting

#6 foodtravellife has been a member since 19/9/2014. Posts: 7
 Website   Twitter   Facebook    Google+   Pinterest 

Posted by MADMAC on 21/9/2014 at 10:11

It would be very rushed. Antonia and exacto have it right. SEA isn't about seeing things, it's about pace of life. Slow down and smell the roses.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Tweishaar on 21/9/2014 at 21:03

Thanks very much, I think my new attitude is to just wing it with a loose plan. Maybe Thailand + laos. Or just see what happens. Id be interested in meaning people and going with them anywhere, Ill probably just keep it open ended, other than a few things like hitting the beach, islands , diving , jungles , temples.

#8 Tweishaar has been a member since 31/8/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by MADMAC on 22/9/2014 at 01:09

Wing it with a loose plan - now you're talking. See what you see. Get to what you get to. Whatever you don't get to, hit up the next trip. Have a great time.

#9 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.