Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

SE Asia for 25 weeks

Posted by Emi_keeley on 6/10/2014 at 03:48

Hi guys, myself and my boyfriend are looking to travel around SE Asia starting from Cambodia, into Thailand, down to Malaysia and Singapore, across to Indonesia and finally finishing at Bali. The question is- how much would I need for food/drink, Lodging, excursions and personal spend for 6 months? Before we go, flights will be paid for, couple of night accommodation in each place and have around £300 for other travel expenses- so it would be spending money. I have been researching and looking into different forums and believe around £3000 would be about the right amount of money seeing as we would use basic rooms (double bed, fan with privet bathroom) and eat mostly street food nothing too fancy. Hopefully someone can help me out in more detail as I will be booking flights soon and wish to know if I will be able to do it :-) Thanks, Emi_Keeley

#1 Emi_keeley has been a member since 6/10/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by DLuek on 6/10/2014 at 04:48 TF writer

Your question really isn't very clear to me. I think you're saying 3,000 pounds for the two of you, for six months? But what does "around 300 for other travel expenses -- so it would be spending money" mean? Is that 300 pounds separate from the 3,000? Confusing.

Also, I got that your flights are paid for, but have you factored in visas and travel insurance? Are those included in the 3,000 or separate? And could you be clearer on "couple of night accommodation in each place"? That means you've booked some accommodation already, I assume, but how much? Does "each place" mean each destination or just a couple nights in each country?

As a rule, even if you're staying in budget accommodation and eating street food, I would expect to spend somewhere between US $40 and $60 per day for the two of you, including transport (mostly buses and trains but also the occasional short-haul flight and speedboat ferry) as well as tickets for attractions and perhaps a tour or two. That's if you're rarely spending money on alcohol and doesn't include visa costs and travel insurance, which will be fairly substantial for the trip you're planning. So I'd say you're looking at somewhere between $7,000 and $11,000 total, not including flights or the other stuff mentioned above. This is really a ballpark figure; I would expect it to be a bit higher if you'll be spending more time in Malaysia and especially Singapore... You could make it cheaper by sticking to inexpensive destinations in Thailand and Cambodia (not really sure about Indonesia). Again, higher if you'll be hanging in places like Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur for a while.

At today's exchange rates (and bear in mind the US $ is pretty strong at the moment), your 3,000 pounds comes out to US $4,800, which in my opinion would be an extremely tight budget for a couple covering five countries over six months. You could make it more doable by volunteering for a sizable portion of the time and/or by staying in cheap destinations for longer, perhaps searching for deals on weekly or even a monthly rental at some stage. Yeah street food is generally cheap but are you sure you can stomach it virtually every day for six months? I'd be keen to factor in the odd splurge on a half-decent air-con room and some solid Western stodge from time to time.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,294
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by Emi_keeley on 6/10/2014 at 05:13

Hi DLuek thanks for replying so quickly.
We would have £3000 each for food/drink, accommodation and an extra £500 each for excursions. Flights, Visas, travel insurance and vaccinations will be paid for before traveling and is not included with the £3000. The £300 would go towards traveling overland either bus, boat or flying (we would only fly once or twice depending on prices either Bangkok to Phuket and/or Singapore to Medan, Indonesia), again this money would be for each of use.
So in total £3800 each for travelling overland, food/drink, accommodation, and excursions/sight seeing. Plus we will be staying with a family member during time in Indonesia

#3 Emi_keeley has been a member since 6/10/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by DLuek on 6/10/2014 at 06:02 TF writer

Okay then, you should be fine. ;)

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,294
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by adventureboundd on 8/10/2014 at 09:04

Hi, me and my misses are planning the exact same and intend to take £3000 each we think that should be fine. Here are our costs so far we intend to go in January 2015

#5 adventureboundd has been a member since 8/10/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by Emi_keeley on 8/10/2014 at 14:29

Thats great, thanks for that.. We plan to leave in Nov 2015.. Maybe i could use ur experiences to help us plan our route :-) there is so much to see, i dont know where to start!

#6 Emi_keeley has been a member since 6/10/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by MADMAC on 13/10/2014 at 00:46

I suspect you'll start in Bangkok where most people start.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.