Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

2 Month south east Asia trip

Posted by alexwhitney on 29/4/2016 at 20:38

Looking at doing a solo 2- 2.5 month long south east Asia trip.

First time doing a solo trip and first
time visiting south east Asia

Wanting to visit Vietnam, Laos, Philippines, Thailand and Cambodia.

Just wanting to know previous experiences, what to do what not to do, places to avoid and so fourth.

Hoping to do the whole trip for around $5000-$6000

#1 alexwhitney has been a member since 29/4/2016. Posts: 5

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by exacto on 29/4/2016 at 22:44

Hi alex,

To start, I'd pick a start and end point and then start to fill in a route based on typical weather patterns and visa needs. Those 8 to 10 weeks won't be as long once you arrive as they seem right now during your planning. You may wish to trim down the list so you won't be rushing around too much, and the Philippines seems like the odd man out in your list of countries. If dropping the Philippines is not an option, perhaps you can plan an open jaw itinerary, where you arrive in somewhere like Bangkok and head back home from Manila. I suggest heading to Bangkok first as it is a good place to get your feet under you at the start of a long trip, particularly for a first time visitor to Southeast Asia.

Apart from that, if you haven't yet, have a look at the Planning and Itineraries sections above. They are loaded with good information to help your travel take shape.

I hope that helps or at least gets the conversation started. Have a good trip.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,786
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by alexwhitney on 30/4/2016 at 18:00

Thanks heaps for your reply exacto. Philippines isn't a must but if I had the time wanted to check it out. Haven't looked at the planning and itineraries part yet so will have to check it out. Thanks heaps again for your reply

#3 alexwhitney has been a member since 29/4/2016. Posts: 5

Posted by exacto on 30/4/2016 at 23:17

Sounds good. After you look through the itineraries and other information, come back with whatever specific questions you might have. Regards.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,786
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by alexwhitney on 1/5/2016 at 06:48

So after doing a little bit more research. I have decided to start in Thailand the Laos, Vietnam ending in Cambodia. Would you recommend this route or should i do it in a different order?

Want to go in with not really a plan but have certain things i want to do in each place but want to sort of take every day as it comes.

#5 alexwhitney has been a member since 29/4/2016. Posts: 5

Posted by marlobrent on 5/5/2016 at 02:27

The Tai cuisine is amazing, of course. I highly recommend it. And just go see nature and ancient temples, if you interested in those things.

#6 marlobrent has been a member since 3/5/2016. Posts: 6

Posted by jeeeebus on 9/5/2016 at 18:32

Hi Alex,
I have also travelled through Sth East Asia solo for three months. My suggestion would be to start in Hanoi and travel down Vietnam before crossing into Cambodia making your way up to Laos. From Luang Prabang you shouldn't miss taking the 2 day slow boat trip up the Mekong before crossing over to Thailand. Chang Rai and Chang Mai should not be missed. Bangkok I would give a wide birth. Pick a couple of places you must see like Angkor Wat, Battambang, the waterfalls at Luang Prabang etc but basically go where the mood takes you. I would set dates that you have to be at borders and have Visas for those dates. Makes sure you keep moving some times. Its a great way to travel, and enjoy the countries and their people

#7 jeeeebus has been a member since 9/10/2011. Posts: 26

Posted by YogaSearcherBali on 15/6/2016 at 10:51

You will make it the south east asia trip 3 month for $5000 to $6000, as long as don't be stuck at the island party and you have to make a clear budget with the alcohol. Then everything will be work out. cheers

#8 YogaSearcherBali has been a member since 25/2/2016. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 71
 Send YogaSearcherBali a private message   Website   Facebook    Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.