Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

Weather concerns when visiting SE in August and September

Posted by Mbrzi25 on 9/5/2016 at 10:50

Hi Everyone,

I am planning to do a 2 month trip to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Myanmar in August and September. I have never been to the region before, and have read really mixed reports on what places will be like at this time. I understand that all of the individual countries have diverse weather by region, so it will certainly vary, but I guess I am just looking for some confirmation that it will be safe/enjoyable to travel at this time. I'm not bothered by rain, but certainly want to avoid unsafe conditions, and want to be able to access at least 50% of locations and sites. Is this a terrible idea? Do I need to move my trip? Any advice would be much appreciated!

#1 Mbrzi25 has been a member since 14/4/2016. Posts: 2

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by DLuek on 10/5/2016 at 09:00 TF writer

The worst of the rainy season falls around September in much of that area, so, yeah, it will be wet. Islands are especially tough at this time of year, as lots of resorts close and ferries sometimes can't run due to rough seas. Island-hopping ferries in Thailand's Andaman Sea shut down completely, for example. But it usually doesn't rain all day; it's more common to get a solid one- to three-hour storm at some point, just about every day, usually in the late afternoons. It's usually more like heavy sheets of rain in short bursts rather than the depressing weeks-on-end of misty rain that you get in northern climates. I actually enjoy sitting on the porch of a bungalow and watching the rain come crashing down. You'll also get the occasional sunny day and those are honestly some of the best days of the entire year in this region. It's a great time to hit waterfalls, and SE Asia has a lot of those. I'd almost rather visit during the rainy season, when the landscape is green and crisp, rather than in, say, March and April, when it's hazy and hot and the land looks like scorched earth. Another advantage is thinner crowds and often cheaper room rates in touristy areas. Especially in the less-developed countries (Laos, Cambodia) you might get stuck at some point due to mud or a washed out road. But I'd say pack an umbrella and a raincoat and you'll be fine.

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,328
 Send DLuek a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by exacto on 10/5/2016 at 19:31

Agreed. The thinner crowds and lower prices more than make up for the rain. Plus, as D says, it is usually only a few hours of heavy rain in the afternoon, and even then, those rains can be something special to experience. I wouldn't change my travel dates if I were you, but I would consider slimming down my itinerary, as travel will go slower during the rainy season, and five countries in two months is a pretty aggressive pace. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,780
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Mbrzi25 on 25/5/2016 at 19:29

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

#4 Mbrzi25 has been a member since 14/4/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by missamandalim on 25/5/2016 at 22:01

If you'll travel Vietnam, September is considered as "best" time to visit there with good weather. You can visit the north of Vietnam such as Sapa, Moc Chau and Halong as well.

#5 missamandalim has been a member since 13/5/2016. Posts: 17

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.