Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

BUKIT CLARIFICATIONS

Posted by tezza on 25/7/2018 at 18:37

Good to see TRAVELFISH NEWS LETTER #317 featuring the BUKIT PENINSULA of Bali, having just returned from another10 days stay. I enjoyed the quotes of ALBERTFALZON, one of the guys who “discovered” this part of Bali for westerners – I'm a contemporary of Alby, although never as good a surfer and it took me another 7-8 years to visit the BUKIT after his first pass-by. Since then I’ve returned most years, although osteo knees has turned me into a spectator recently. No matter, the surfing blows me away – modern surfers are so much better than we were. And Indo surfers, pretty ordinary to start with, are today totally excellent.
I was chuffed to seeSALLY’S pic of PADANG PADANG. Jeepers creepers – she has theCORRECT Padang Padang!! See THERE ARE 2 PP’s – the most popular is NOT THE REAL PP – it’s correct name is PANTAI LABUAN SAIT and is less than 2km on the KUTA side of the real deal. This is the beach your taxi or transport guy willl drop you at when you ask for PADANG PADANG. I’m a bit afraid that when people compare SALLY’S pic with LABUAN SAIT they will be a bit disappointed at size, less sand etc.
Not that they should –LABUAN SAIT BCH is pretty good. I’m thinking it will suit FAMILIES, CULTURE VULTURES (place has religious significance with frequent colourful ceremonies), PEOPLE WATCHERS and SURFERS more. But if you want a place where you can still find some deserted beach,where you can stay right on the beach in inexpensive digs, the real deal is the one.
FURTHER CLARIFICATION –Sally captions “plenty of sand” at the real PP. Thing is, likeALL north-facing BUKIT beaches this is TIDE DEPENDANT. High tide on a KING TIDE day (associated with FULL MOON and NO MOON) can see NO BEACH. A week later high tide may take only 30-50% of the beach. Best check a tide chart before you visit – plenty online because of the surfing. BTW – this coast’s least affected beaches high tide; BALANGAN east of beach warungs – and DREAMLAND EAST past the small headland just on the KUTA side of the life guard tower.
THE BUKIT TRANSPORTMAFIA is also mentioned. My experience: heaps of empty cabs pass both PPs on the main road – the TRANSPORT MAFIA avoids the main road. Few cabs like to use meters, but I wouldn’t pay more than idr20K between the 2 PPs, 25K (Uluwatu Cliffside), 30K (Bingan), 40k (Dreamland/Klapa Bch Club) and 50K (Balangan). Haven’t got Uluwatu Temple on account I’m not a temple/tourist-trap guy –haven’t visited since 1977.
LS/PP is 22/23km fromcentral Kuta. A meter taxi (try to get a light blue BLUEBIRD GROUPcab) will cost idr100-120K (2018) – takes 50+mins because of horrendous traffic first half

#1 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,347
 Website 

Posted by tezza on 25/7/2018 at 18:48

Oh yeah, if you want to find the correct PADANG PADANG on Google Maps - look for THOMAS BEACH just to the west of LABUAN SAIT.
Early surfers chose THOMAS BEACH because they had already taken PP for LABUAN SAIT (never let the truth get in the way of a cool name) - THOMAS HOMESTAY was the only accommodation at the real PP in the early days.
You can't miss the side tracks into TB/the real PP - there are PADANG PADANG signposts pointing down 3 tracks - the first one less than 1km past the high bridge over LABUAN SAIT BCH. The best side track is probably the second which also has a THOMAS HOMESTAY sign.

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,347
 Website 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by somtam2000 on 27/7/2018 at 03:34 admin

Hi Tezza,

Glad to hear you enjoyed Sally’s work—such enormous changes (and at an accelerating rate) working their way through the Bukit (and all of Bali for that matter) over the last five years.

Hold on to your hat!

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,972
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.