Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

Around Chiang Rai

Posted by fondo on 12/11/2018 at 05:18

A short report on my recent sojourn around Chiang Rai . Lady fondo and I haven’t been to the Land of Smiles for a few years so it was great to get back. Rather than our usual policy of driving around we stayed in one place and drove out for day trips. We stayed about 10km north of Chiang Rai which was very quiet with enough restaurants and a market pretty close.
There was plenty around CR to keep us occupied. We like walking and caving and used Highway 1 north and south to get our fill of dois, namtoks and thams. We enjoyed return visits to the gardens at Doi Tung and to the Mekong and one of my all-time favourite towns at Chiang Saen. Tham Luang Nang Non, where the Wild Boar rescues happened, is now a popular attraction.
We didn’t do a lot of the must see stuff (drove past the White Temple so I’ll call that done!), Baan Dam is weird, the ‘shuffling street market’ was surprisingly enjoyable, the Fah Luang Cultural Park gets a tick and, just like this site, got an educational tour of the Oub Kham Museum - recommended if you’re into that sort of thing.
So, Chiang Rai? Get some transport, get out of town and you’ll have a great time!

#1 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 179
 Where has fondo been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/11/2018 at 17:51 admin

Thanks for the report. Would you say Tham Luang Nang Non is worth visiting? I mean, is there much on display there to explain what happened and that kinda thing?

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,995
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by fondo on 15/11/2018 at 21:33

At the moment it seems to be more about showing respect to the deceased Thai diver, but a museum/interpretive centre is under construction. I read that the wetlands in the park that got all the excess water pumped into them have been rehabilitated and landscaped and were reopened yesterday. Apparently the fencing around the cave won’t be coming down for a year or so. It was interesting to see the level of visitation (and the associated required food and flower stands causing semi-chaos along the road!), but really there’s not a lot to experience right now.

#3 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 179
 Where has fondo been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/11/2018 at 18:39 admin

Ok good to know.

I saw that the first of what will probably be a deluge (cough cough) of books on the drama has just come out—will probably increase visitor numbers ... more food and flower carts please!

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,995
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by fondo on 27/11/2018 at 03:38

Here’s an article about tourism at Tham Luang from The Guardian today:
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2018/nov/27/thai-cave-football-team-rescue-tham-luang-tourist-hotspot-thailand

#5 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 179
 Where has fondo been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.