Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

My trip to Bagan

Posted by jimby on 13/11/2018 at 17:48

I did a solo trip to Bagan last winter for 3 days. In retrospect 3 days was waayyyy too short for Bagan, I think ideally 4-6 would've given me more time to explore all the temples there.

Getting to Bagan was not easy. I flew to Bangkok, then connected to Mandalay, and then finally connected to Bagan. At the airport there was a 25,000 kyat fee I had to pay as the entry fee to all the temples. Getting to my hotel was via a taxi.

My hotel was in the Nyaung-U area, not too far from the airport. The next 2 days I rented an E-bike from the town close to my hotel to get around. I can't recommend ebikes enough. Bagan is MASSIVE. There are so many temples spread across the landscape that it's impossible to get around on foot and hard to efficiently get around on bikes. I also don't think taxis are a good option because there's so much distance between the temples and there are so many of them that it's really best explored on your own schedule.

Food options are not great in Bagan, unfortunately. Most of the restaurants are in the town of New Bagan, which is south of the temples area.

Keep in mind that you're not supposed to climb the temples, though I saw a lot of tourists break this rule. There's basically no enforcement in all but the biggest temples.

Sunset and sunrise are both really magical times to explore Bagan. Sun rise was tough because it's best observed from the top of a temple, I had to hunt down a temple that I wanted to go the day before, and then bike there in the dark before the sunrise. It was all worth it though, the hot air balloons around me and the morning prayer made it a very magical time

#1 jimby has been a member since 6/11/2018. Posts: 3

Posted by neharani on 14/11/2018 at 22:59

A beautiful place to visit, thank you for sharing this information.

#2 neharani has been a member since 23/2/2017. Posts: 44

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.