Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

GILI LAYER OVERVIEW

Posted by tezza on 5/7/2019 at 10:27

GILI LAYAR is a tinyisland only 900m NW off bigger GILI GEDE. It’s one of the ”SECRET GILIS’ - the many islands off the SW peninsula of mainland LOMBOK.

It’s genuinely small – averaging 900m across with a total distance around the coast of abt 3km which can be walked in under an hour. Most of the latter is beach (thin – not much left at full tide, lotsa coral debris and rubbish at storm tide mark – best beach in front of the only resort and in the south. where some attempts at grooming have been made – BUT you will have no problem finding a long stretch ofdeserted sand away from weekends**. The western coast is mainly a 700m rock platform covered with coral debris – a bit tricky to traverse high tide along with the approach/exit corners. Wear good footwear any tide level.

Best snorkeling is in front of the resort with ok fish and coral on the reef drop-off not far from the sand – drift along with the tidal current –novices will be enthralled but hard-core fin flappers underwhelmed. An underwater sand spit 100m S of resort on SE corner good for water enty/exit lower tide. Plenty of visiting snorkeling boats and dive boats from GEDE/MAINLAND – abt 20% visited the resort’s restaurant.

Latter not bad –good food at maybe 20%+ on budget levels. Fair wait for meals which meant they were prepared from scratch, not simmering pots. Good service.

Many visitors talk of “ROBINSON CRUSOE” island – the only permanent people hereare abt 6 resort stall and 2 farming families (whom I never saw)**

I spent 4 nights in the resort – my basic fan outside toilet bungalow fine, fair valu eif you add the 100K ‘ROBINSON CRUSOE**’ loading. Beware windblown fine sand on gusty days. The 2 upmarket beachfront 900+K bungalows – no way. These were 450K places – how do we get to 900+K? But plenty of takers, so what do I know?

LAYAR has a good iews from the highest hill – could see BALI’s AGUNG (west), G TRAWANGAN’s hill (north) and GEDE + MAINLAND (west).

** the “alone on a tropical island” thing doesn’t last into the weekend, when LAYAR attracts mainlanders. On the Sunday we had abt a dozen canpers and 50f ishermen/reef fossiker, But that’s ok – I like to see local leisure culture.

#1 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,358
 Website 

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.