Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass Info

Posted by michmich11 on 29/5/2008 at 12:24

Just booked a Discovery Pass with Bangkok Airways for my upcoming trip. Speaking to the US office (located in India apparently...) here's the deal: I had to provide ALL the flight details in advance (not only the 1st leg of the trip as I had thought). However, these dates and times can be modified as long as you book an e-ticket, as opposed to a paper ticket. For some reason the flight from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang could not be issued as an e-ticket and so my entire transaction had to be paper tickets, meaning it would be quite difficult to change the flight details (not to mention an extra $15 shipping charge). (For that reason plus other scheduling details we decided to exclude the SR-LP flight from our Discovery Pass and purchase it separately through Lao Airlines.

In the end we booked: BKK-> Siem Reap ($100 +tax), BKK->Samui ($75 +tax) and Samui->BKK ($75 +tax). Keep in mind that tax adds up--in my case to $116! So I paid $366 for all three flights instead of $473

Summary: -If flexibility is important try to book e-tickets.
-Keep in mind that taxes can be a killer.
-If you're planning on flying, this can save a nice amount of money.

#1 michmich11 has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 19

Posted by NEILEIO on 5/6/2008 at 20:12

thanks for putting the post up i was thinking of getting the pass myself i was just wondering if you knew was there a way to get it in ireland cheers

#2 NEILEIO has been a member since 29/4/2008. Posts: 11

Posted by michmich11 on 5/6/2008 at 20:20

I'd recommend trying to find a local Bangkok Airways contact number. Check out Travelfish's feature story on getting a discovery pass for a list of contact information throughout different countries:
If there's none in Ireland you could try calling/e-mailing another country. Good luck!

#3 michmich11 has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 19

Posted by paradise on 5/2/2009 at 11:18

I explored getting a discovery pass recently (also on phone to India office) but found out that at least one of the flights needs to be a route that Bangkok air flies - all of ours were Lao airlines (or Vietnam airlines which isn't part of this pass) - so doesn't look like we can take advantage of this. But looked like good savings on international flights e.g. Vientiane to Hanoi

#4 paradise has been a member since 5/2/2009. Posts: 13

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.