Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

First time in Asia

Posted by yayorc on 23/10/2009 at 06:03

Hi all,

Other than a week working in Tokyo and going from hotel, to office buildings, to nice restaurants, I'm planning my first trip to Asia at the end of November. I am flying solo in and out of Bangkok on November 28 and December 13 respectively, and am having trouble deciding where I should go. I have two ideas:

1) travel the coast of Vietnam, north to south, for the length of the trip

or

2) head to Chiang Mai, and head down the Mekong to Luang Prabang, Vientiane, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap/Angkor Wat, and finish in Bangkok.

Is the second route at all possible in 15 days? Would you advise someone on their first solo trip in SE Asia one way or the other?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

#1 yayorc has been a member since 23/10/2009. Posts: 10

Posted by exacto on 23/10/2009 at 11:38

hello,

i think you are packing too much into option number 2. with two weeks to spend you could do the quick trip to chiang mai and then through laos or cambodia but not both. logistically, cutting out cambodia would work best, since that would leave a big loop through northern thailand, over/down to luang prabang and vientiane, then back to bangkok. even that would be a bit rushed but still possible in two weeks.

how did you plan to get to/from vietnam in option 1? regards.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/10/2009 at 13:13 admin

I agree with exacto -- drop Cambodia and spread out north Thailand and Laos over the two weeks, otherwise you're going to be travelling too much of the time.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by yayorc on 23/10/2009 at 17:31

What if I dropped northern Thailand and just did Laos & Cambodia? Or do you think I'd be missing out?

#4 yayorc has been a member since 23/10/2009. Posts: 10

Posted by yayorc on 23/10/2009 at 17:32

I'd fly from BKK to Hanoi and from Ho Chi Minh back to BKK if I went to Vietnam.

#5 yayorc has been a member since 23/10/2009. Posts: 10

Posted by exacto on 23/10/2009 at 23:15

i don't think you'd be missing out if you skipped northern thailand in favor of cambodia, but i think the logistics of visiting both laos and cambodia in just two weeks would be difficult, unless you were willing to fly most of the time.

what you could do is instead of going to luang prabang, make your way up to vientiane from bangkok or any point in the southern part of laos, then make your way overland down to siem reap and then back to bangkok. i think that would fit in your two weeks.

#6 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.