Photo: Fisherman returning to Ko Tarutao.

Trip reports forum

Vietnam/Cambodia itinerary - help!

Posted by latestarter on 26/10/2009 at 07:20

Hi, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on our trip to Vietnam and Cambodia.

We arrive in HCMC on 12/12 for 3 weeks and plan to fly to Hanoi for a couple of days and do a 2 night/3 day trip to Ha Long Bay. We must see Angkor Wat so plan to fly from Hanoi to Siem Reap for 2 nights, leaving there on 18 or 19th Dec. We have booked to stay in Phu Quoc from 22-27 (only bit booked so far except flights from UK!)and will fly back to spend a couple of days in HCMC before we leave late on 30th. We want to see a bit of the Mekong Delta so travelling overland from Siem Reap to Rach Gia via Phnom Phen and then flying or getting a boat across to Phu Quoc seems the best idea but not sure how easy or do-able it is in 4 days. Can anyone help with travel plans for this bit of our trip?

Also grateful for any advice on this itinerary and anything we should do/see along the way. We want to see the main sights but like to get a feel for a country by getting off the main tourist trail a bit too.

Grateful for any advice for a couple of middle aged but young at heart explorers.

#1 latestarter has been a member since 26/10/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/10/2009 at 16:05 admin

Siem reap to Phnom Penh is easily done in a half day. The bat from Phnom Penh to chau Doc leaves first thing in the morning -- I'd get that and overnight in Chau Doc. Then push on to Can Tho, overnight there and see the floating markets the following morning, then onto Rach Gia overnight there and boat following morning to Phu Quoc.

Have fun!

Further reading:
Exploring Vietnam's Mekong Delta
Phu Quoc photo gallery

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by latestarter on 28/10/2009 at 19:46

Many thanks.

#3 latestarter has been a member since 26/10/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.