Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Skip Central Vietnam...

Posted by AlexBCN on 28/4/2010 at 16:54

Hi,

I am planning to stay around three weeks in Vietnam next July-August.

I start my journey in Hanoi, and want to go to Sapa and Halong Bay (10 days). Then take the overnight train to Hue and see Hoi An (4 days), I want then to spend some time in Saigon and see the Cu chi Tunels and the Mekong Delta (6 days).

I am not sure whether to fly from Hoi An (Dalang) to Saigon, or do this leg overland.

Do you have any suggestion on land routes? And if so, how long would it take? Is it worth seeing...

Also any suggestion on timing in the rest of the trip would be great!

Thanks everybody for the help!

#1 AlexBCN has been a member since 22/3/2010. Posts: 12

Posted by busylizzy on 28/4/2010 at 17:54

Personally, I enjoyed Dalat and the central highlands - I had some of my best experiences in that area. Also the tunnels near the DMZ are very good, and are apparently better than the Cu Chi tunnels for a more 'authentic' experience. (I haven't see Cu Chi tunnels, so can't confirm).

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by daawgon on 30/4/2010 at 10:27

To be honest, you don't have the time to see everything, and since there's generally more of interest in the north, I would say to fly to Saigon from Danang. I loved Dalat also, but you can come back again. I really don't understand what everyone sees in Hue - I've been there twice, and never again thank you.

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by UCSBrown on 30/4/2010 at 12:20

Hue is good for a day. The Citadel sucks as it's mostly ruins but some of the Tombs are nice. It's amazing to see the grand estates constructed just to be buried in (though lots were used while alive).

#4 UCSBrown has been a member since 28/11/2009. Posts: 24

Posted by rawjer on 30/4/2010 at 14:19

Posted from within Vietnam.

I just arrived in Dalat so I can't yet judge it, but I agree that Hue is kind of overrated, unless perhaps someone wants to see DMZ-related sights. I spent 8 days there recently (working a lot in my room) and I felt all the sights were rather plain and it's kind of an ugly town.

Some people dislike Hoi An, but I loved it and found it far superior for a tourist in pretty much every way. So on a short trip I'd also recommend a skip on Hue, and maybe even on a long trip as well.

#5 rawjer has been a member since 20/1/2010. Posts: 104
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by Archmichael on 30/4/2010 at 21:00

Given your time available, I'd say fly from Da Nang to Sai Gon.

Can't comment on Hue, as Iv'e not been yet. We plan to be there for two days early next year, so it will be interesting to see what I think afterwards (vis-a-vis the general comments above about about the town, ruins, etc.).

Although I found the ware sellers in Hoi An to be a bit annoying, the town itself is beautiful and Cua Dai beach is great.

#6 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.