Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam in Late October to Early Novemeber - best places?

Posted by LindaLovelace on 29/4/2010 at 12:37

Hi All,

I need some help! I've been trawling through all the wonderful info on this site on Vietnam but now cannot make up my mind where to go/what to do.

I will be in Vietnam from 26th Octber til the 9th November. Flying in and out of HCMC. From what I can understand this is relatively good weather for HCMC and Hanoi. I really wanted to go to Hoi An/Danang area and a beach destination like Nha Trang or even Mui Ne - but apparently this is the worst time of year weather wise?? Is it still worthwhile going to these places? If not can anyone recommend a good beach place?

I'm looking for mid budget options, and am happy to fly domestically as I dont want to lose too much time travelling from A to B.

Thanking you in advance!

-Linda

#1 LindaLovelace has been a member since 29/4/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 6

Posted by daawgon on 30/4/2010 at 00:02

No mortal man can predict the weather, and it should not stop you from seeing any place in Vietnam. I can tell you that I started my trip on Nov 26, 2009 in Saigon, then on to Hanoi, Sapa, Hue, Nha Trang, Dalat and return to Saigon. This was a few weeks after the typhoons and it was still pretty muddy with several rail and road washouts on the central coast, but it only delayed me by a few hours on the train to NT. People are used to the near-yearly floods in this area, and don't make a big deal out of it. This year I'm starting my trip a little later in Nov, but not really for weather reasons. Oct-Nov is actually a pretty good time to travel - have fun.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,132
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by daawgon on 30/4/2010 at 00:03

Hoi An is a beach destination - a very good beach destination (Nicer than NT, IMHO).

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,132
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/4/2010 at 18:12 admin

At that time of the year Phu Quoc Island is perfect and far better beaches than Nha Trang town. Especially given you;re flying in and out of Saigon going there would cut down on travel times considerably.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Archmichael on 30/4/2010 at 20:43

The October and November I spent in the area south of Da Nang was pretty chilly and rainy. Not so good for being on a beach.

Nonetheless, I do agree with Daawgon: Cua Dai beach at Hoi An is beautiful.

#5 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Posted by LindaLovelace on 10/5/2010 at 08:23

Great! Thanks for all your help - I didnt realise how nice Cua Dai beach was until I did some further research! I dont mind rain, I just didnt want to be stuck at a nice beach with nothing to do if the weather was horrible but Hoi An seems to be a good mix of beach/culture/activities :)

I've booked all my domestic flights now, so am spending 3 nights in Saigon, 5 nights in Hanoi and 5 nights in Hoi An/Hue.

#6 LindaLovelace has been a member since 29/4/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 6

Posted by Archmichael on 10/5/2010 at 11:00

Ah...five nights in Ha Noi. Wonderful. I do not think you will regret that. Beautiful city.

As a complete aside, I do find your "handle" of Linda Lovelace to be a most interesting choice.

Happy travels!

#7 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Posted by KazAussie on 11/5/2010 at 15:00

Enjoy Hoi An , one of my favourite places in Vietnam. There is a great beach, Hoi An itself is an experience and there are heaps of day trips ... DaNang, China Beach, Marble Mountain etc. Even if the weather closes in you will have plenty to do.

I really liked Phu Quoc as well, but we had picture perfect weather while we were there. It would not have been very pleasant if the weather was bad as there was not a lot to do other than soak up the sun (which is what we were there for anyway). I was disappointed with the diving there.

Cheers

Kaz

#8 KazAussie has been a member since 18/7/2009. Posts: 221

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.