Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Possible Itinerary Vietnam/Cambodia June 2011

Posted by itchy_feet_explorer on 20/5/2010 at 10:26

Hi everyone,

Any opinions/advice on the following itinerary would be greatly appreciated. My husband and I have previously travelled to Vietnam and have been to Ho Chi Minh, Nha Trang and Mekong Delta.

Day 1

Fly to Phnom Penh , private car to Sihanoukville , arriving late evening.

Day 2

Sihanoukville

Day 3

Day trip to Kep/Kampot

Day 4

Drive Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh mid morning. Relaxing afternoon around the city, maybe head to the markets.

Day 5

Tuol Sleng (s21 – Torture Prison), Russian Markets, Cheung Ek (The Killing Fields), Boat trip down Tonle Sap w/Khmer cook for dinner

Day 6

Phnom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Centre (play with elephants, local lunch w/beer, chew betel nut) 0900-1700

Day 7

Private car from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. Relaxing wander around the city in the afternoon.

Day 8

Angkor Wat in the morning, Old Markets during the day

Tara Riverboat sunset cruise

Day 9

Angkor Thom in the morning, Kompong Khleang (village on stilts) in the middle of the day, Bakheng (Angkor Wat) late afternoon to watch sunset

Day 10

Tara Riverboat day cruise & gecko centre, Angkor Wat or explore town. Evening flight from Sieam Reap to Hanoi

Day 11

Ho Chi Minh Memorial Complex, One Pillar Pagoda, Temple of Literature, Hoan Kiem Lake, Ngoc Son Pagoda, Hoa Lo Prison

Night Water Puppet Show

Day 12

Hanoi – Ha Long Bay overnight trip staying on a junkboat

Day 13

Return to Hanoi and spend the afternoon finishing off any of the sightseeing we did not get finished on Day 10. Finish with a trip to the night markets after dinner.

Day 14

Fly from Hanoi to Hue very early in the morning. Day of sight seeing - Tombs (Ming Mang, Khai Dinh, Gia Long), Thien Mu Pagoda, Citadel (imperial city), Forbidden City, Tiger Fighting Arena

Day 15

Continue the sightseeing from Day 14 this morning. Travel to Hoi-An mid afternoon by private car.

Day 16

Relaxing day at the beach, exploring Hoi An town and enjoying the night life.

Day 17

Mid morning drive to Danang. Go and visit the My Son Sanctuary and Cham Museum

We can either stay overnight in Danang or get a mid afternoon flight to HCM City (we LOVED HCM last time we were here)

Day 18

Either fly Danang - HCM - Phu Quoc or HCM - Phu Quoc this morning. Spend rest of day relaxing

Day 19

Relaxing day at beach

Day 20

Relaxing day at beach

Day 21

Leave for return flights home.

Please tell me what you think of this itinerary. We love the beach but I am a little concerned Phu Quoc might just be a little TOO quiet for us. Would we be better of spending more time in Hue and Hoi An? Or is Phu Quoc really worth the visit?

Thank you all in advance.

#1 itchy_feet_explorer has been a member since 20/5/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/5/2010 at 13:36 admin

A couple of thoughts:
"Day 9
Angkor Thom in the morning, Kompong Khleang (village on stilts) in the middle of the day, Bakheng (Angkor Wat) late afternoon to watch sunset"

You can't really do all that in a day - Kompong Khleang is a full day trip from SR. I'd suggest shifting some of the ruins to the next day.

Day 17: My Son and Da Nang are in opposite directions so while you can fit that all into a day, it is a pretty busy one.

While what you're proposing is all possible, it is a pretty busy itinerary save the beach break at the end. Also bear in mind the weather on both the Cambodian coast and Phu Quoc Island isn't too great in June as you'll get the monsoon rought waters and rain.

If you're not especially into the beach, I'd drop both Sihanoukville and Phu Quoc from the plan and spend more time in Phnom Penh and spread the other days across Vietnam.

Hope that helps!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by itchy_feet_explorer on 20/5/2010 at 14:22

Thanks for your suggestions somtam2000!

Reference the Kompong Khleang village tour - would you suggest we just did more of the ruins instead since we will be doing the Tara Riverboat cruise the next day? Or would you say it is worth seeing?

Where exactly is My Son? Is it North of Hoi An? I am confused...

Also, do you think it is worth staying in Danang overnight or just heading to the airport there for our flight out to Ho Chi Minh?

Thanks again!

#3 itchy_feet_explorer has been a member since 20/5/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by Archmichael on 22/10/2010 at 10:34

I realize you're already on the road (and probably home again), but I'm going to throw out my opinion about one piece of your original post anyway: My Son.

Last trip to Viet Nam (Spring, '09), we went to My Son because we weren't able to get over to Angkor Wat. Rather like a consolation prize, I suppose. So much of it (including the best structure of the site) was bombed to bits in the American War, there's little left that is noteworthy. Really, just the first ruin group you come to from the entry and performance structure (where music and dance ... allegedly Cham .. are performed). If you are going to Angkor Wat, you could (in my unlearned opinion) skip My Son altogether.

Happy travels, wherever you are!

#4 Archmichael has been a member since 23/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 396
 Send Archmichael a private message 

Posted by AbigailatPenhandInk on 16/1/2011 at 22:12 TF writer

I'd suggest not making Kep /Kampot a day trip from Sihanoukville, but actually staying the night. There are plenty of transport options to Phnom Penh from there, and you won't waste so much time travelling. It would difficult to see both in a day AND get back to the beach. And when there's a beautiful sunset river cruise in Kampot, fabulous crab in Kep and interesting architecture in both, why rush back? In fact, I'd try to spend a couple of days in that area.

Agree that My Son could easily be dropped from your itinerary as you're going to Angkor Wat. It's good as a warm-up, but I think it would be disappointing after the main event.

I really enjoyed Phu Quoc a couple of years back, particularly for the quiet and the unmade roads, but there were major signs of development then, so I would assume it's changed a little.

#5 AbigailatPenhandInk has been a member since 9/11/2010. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 179
 Send AbigailatPenhandInk a private message   Website 

Posted by jackdsilva12 on 18/1/2011 at 16:41

Great, i also thought to visit Vietnam with my wife, i heard many things about Vietnam from my friends so i have also decided to go Vietnam.

#6 jackdsilva12 has been a member since 18/1/2011. Posts: 31

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.