Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

From Phu Quoc to Saigon through the Mekong

Posted by cartolamagica on 10/11/2006 at 19:28

Dilema:
I will arrive in saigon on the 29th of december.
My friends want to spend new year's at the beach (phu quoc) and i want to do the Mekong tour.
I thought it would be ok if we fly over to phu quoc on the 30st and return with the boat via the mekong on the 2nd+3rd
Apparently no one offers this way around... :( Has anyone done this? I don't mind flying to Rach Gia and then join an excursion...

the other option is to start the mekong excursion on the 30 and arrive at phu quoc on the 31st! seems a bit tight!
comments???

thanks in advance

#1 cartolamagica has been a member since 2/11/2006. Posts: 3

Posted by DakLak on 10/11/2006 at 21:09

I suggest you fly to Phu Quoc (VietNam Airlines has a new schedule there that you will like) then get the ferry back to Rach Gia and the take local buses to Can Tho where you can view the market and join a tour.

#2 DakLak has been a member since 28/8/2006. Posts: 57

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/11/2006 at 07:19 admin

Good advice from daklak there - also worth noting there is little need to do a tour of the Delta - it's easy enough to travel independently

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by cartolamagica on 11/11/2006 at 12:40

Thanks!
I've been trying to find a bus schedule from Rach Gia to Can tho... but haven't been successful. Do you know where i can find one?
We are traveling on a very short schedule... if buses don't run in convenient time, do you know if it's easy to hire a mini bus from Rach Gia to Can tho (4 people)?

#4 cartolamagica has been a member since 2/11/2006. Posts: 3

Posted by DakLak on 11/11/2006 at 12:48

ASSUME early in the day! (07.00-08.00H)

For local buses (9 seaters carrying 17 people) assume VERY early.

You should be concentrating on your ROUTE as the buses in these areas just ply back and forth between major towns which is to say the bus starting in Rach Gia goes to a large town then turns about.

Given that it is the cool season (Mekong cool anyway) you could survive on a local bus - your baggage should be LOCKED to the luggage rack to prevent theft and then ROPED down to prevent movement.

#5 DakLak has been a member since 28/8/2006. Posts: 57

Posted by DakLak on 11/11/2006 at 12:49

Sorry:

"We are traveling on a very short schedule... if buses don't run in convenient time, do you know if it's easy to hire a mini bus from Rach Gia to Can tho (4 people)?"

Answer - taxi.

#6 DakLak has been a member since 28/8/2006. Posts: 57

Posted by epkhelt on 11/11/2006 at 16:52

We are arriving to HCMC the 23rd of December and were planning to go to Puh Quoc the 24th stay for 3 nights then take a boat to Rach Gia and then try to get a tour or privat minibus to see Mekong delta for two days. It seems tobe ahrd to get a bed at Puh Quoc during 24-27 th anyone that has something to recommend that could have free beds?

#7 epkhelt has been a member since 6/11/2006. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.