Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Is this journey doable?

Posted by averydka99 on 19/8/2010 at 21:18

Hello Everyone,
We will be arriving in Vietnam around Nov. 1st. We would like to spend some time at Phu Quoc Island, the Mekong Delta region, up to Nha Trang, then the Sapa region. We have the whole month of November to travel. Is this enough time?

#1 averydka99 has been a member since 27/7/2010. Posts: 12

Posted by Nokka on 19/8/2010 at 22:36

I would say yes.

I spent 4 weeks in Vietnam earlier this year. Spent a few day on Phu Quoc, 3 nights in the Delta, 4 in Saigon, 5 nights Hoi An, 2 Hue, 3 Hanoi (not enough), 2 Halong Bay and 3 Sapa (inc train). Many people seem to rush too much, but I found that was about right for me - not too many places and enough time in each. Having said that, I could easily have spent longer in some of those places, but had a 30 day visa so.....

I reckon in a month you can have a pretty good go at it, though.

#2 Nokka has been a member since 6/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 259

Posted by 69bertie on 20/8/2010 at 08:45

Posted from within Vietnam.

Yes, easily. It will a holiday not a race. It's when people try doing the same in 2 weeks........

The only problem you might have is with the weather but that is something you just have to be flexible about if it goes against you.

#3 69bertie has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 90

Posted by averydka99 on 21/8/2010 at 09:33

Thank you both for your input!

#4 averydka99 has been a member since 27/7/2010. Posts: 12

Posted by daawgon on 24/8/2010 at 01:39

I was in the area last year on Nov 1st and weather was just about perfect. Glad to see you're giving it a whole month, and your plan sound very doable. I urge you to also stop in Hoi An (Danang) and Hanoi en route. I prefer Hoi An over Nha Trang. Pass through Saigon, but don't spend too much time there. Be sure to book a Phu Quoc guesthouse as soon as possible (no problem in other areas). Be flexible as storms on the Central Coast do happen at that time of year.

I'll be in Hanoi starting Nov 19th (my favorite place).

#5 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,114

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.