Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Cookery class recommendations? Hue and Hoi An

Posted by ruthabelle on 14/9/2010 at 02:22

Hello

I'd love a recommendation for a Vietnamese cookery class in either Hue or Hoi An. I'm a really keen cook so I'd like something hands on, not just demonstrations. Has anyone had a good experience?

Thank you!

Ruth

#1 ruthabelle has been a member since 14/9/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by rawjer on 14/9/2010 at 08:42

The food is great in both Hue and Hoi An , but it seems like the cooking-class industry is much bigger in Hoi An, plus most of us think it's a nicer town as well.

I was in Hoi An a few months ago and I discovered that many of the restaurants along the river run more of the demonstration-style classes, with half-day fees starting around US$25, including a trip to the market (which you can easily do on your own). Later I found that my favorite restaurant, which is admittedly a bit out of the way, does one-on-one classes for US$5 plus the price of the meal they teach you to prepare. I wrote about the experience, with photos, on my site.

Taking a cheap cooking class in Hoi An

There are other similar personal classes like this if you look around, and I highly recommend the one I did, plus that restaurant in general: Café 43.

#2 rawjer has been a member since 20/1/2010. Posts: 104
 Send rawjer a private message   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by violets on 14/9/2010 at 08:53

I did a class at Red bridge restaurant a few years ago and enjoyed the class and the food. You go to the market, go by boat down to the restaurant and then do a hands on class then eat. You book through Hai's cafe in town.

There seem to be lots of other classes in Hoi An but I don't know of any in Hue (also a popular city and definitely my favourite.)

#3 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 153

Posted by swag on 14/9/2010 at 11:07

My vote would go to the Morning Glory restaurant in Hoi An. I ate there a couple of times and thought the food was fantastic. Not sure of the price but the class I saw doing there thing was small and hands on
cheers

#4 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331
 Send swag a private message 

Posted by ruthabelle on 15/9/2010 at 05:23

Thanks everyone, I'll look into all of those.

#5 ruthabelle has been a member since 14/9/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by sanpedro on 29/9/2010 at 20:22

I would recommend Gioan restaurant - 94B Bach Dang St. You pick 3 meals on the menu, cook them eat them, and get the recipe. Vina who taught us has a great sesne of humour and it really is a fun experience. This place is great if you only have an hour or so rather than half a day to spend on cooking class.

#6 sanpedro has been a member since 29/9/2009. Posts: 10

Posted by sabiramahoian on 12/12/2018 at 06:50

It’s recommend to Sabirama Hoi An
Visit them at http://restauranthoian.com/

#7 sabiramahoian has been a member since 12/12/2018. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 2
 Send sabiramahoian a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by evergreen_e on 13/12/2018 at 05:02

My wife and I had an amazing time at Red Bridge Cooking School in Hoi An and I would recommend them. There is a complete first hand comparison of Hoi An's most popular cooking schools here which we found very useful when choosing. Red Bridge is definitely more expensive than some but well worth it.

#8 evergreen_e has been a member since 29/5/2015. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.