Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

quickest way from Phu Quoc to Ko Chang

Posted by Goldigga on 6/11/2010 at 14:23

Posted from within Vietnam.

We have just arrived in Hanoi today for 3 weeks in Vietnam and will be ending up on Phu Quoc hopefully. We then plan on hitting the easterns islands for 2 weeks, Ko Chang, Ko Maak & Ko Kut to finish our trip.

What is the quickest way of getting from Phu Quoc to Ko Chang? I seen this previous thread on this subject, but this was done over land through Cambodia
https://www.travelfish.org/feature/113
This looks like it would take 2 - 3 days to do and as we will have already done quite a lot of travelling in our six weeks in Thailand & Vietnam we would prefer to have 2 full weeks at the end to kick back on the islands and relax.

Am i looking at flying Phu Quoc - HCM - Bangkok then bus it to Trat? or there any other alternatives? Cheers

#1 Goldigga has been a member since 20/10/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by eastwest on 7/11/2010 at 12:45

alternative flights:

Phu Quoc - HCMC - PP. Then bus to Koh Kong (4-5 hours) another 1-2 hours to reach Ko Chang then. That's a risky trip since you may have missed that bus to Koh Kong when you arrive in PP. I don't know exact times for that bus. You could consider private taxi from PP. They will probably charge you $40 for that.

But the overland option is not bad (timewise at least) and competitive, if you consider check-ins, transfers, waiting times and price, and it can be done in a day if you take the early morning ferry from Phu Quoc.

-morning ferry to Ha Tien (1,5 hours)
-connecting bus to sihanoukville (3-4 hours (incl time for border crossing)). You can buy an all-inclusive ticket (ferry +bus roughly $30 pp to SHV) on Phu Quoc.
-when arriving in the afternoon in SHV, quick lunch, stretch your legs and hire a private taxi to take you to border/Koh Kong (3-4 hours). Probably $25-40 for that taxi
-cross border and to Ko Chang

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by oasisbarhatien on 7/11/2010 at 17:46

Unfortunately,I don't think the above scenario would work.The bus from Ha Tien to Sihanoukville leaves at 12.30,and doesn't get to Sihanoukville till about 16.30-17.00,which wouldn't give you enough time to get to Koh Kong, Trat and Koh Chang.You could get the morning ferry to Ha Tien,go to the border and take a taxi direct to Koh Kong.I've done that several times,it takes about 4-5 hours to KK from Ha Tien,and costs around 75USD.Then you would go to the Thai border, Trat and Koh Chang.A lot of traveling,but it could be done in a day.The alternative would be to cross to Ha Tien,and take the afternoon bus to Sihanoukville.The next morning there is a bus from there to Koh Chang,which leaves at 08.00, gets to Laem Ngop at around 15.00,and costs about 30USD.

#3 oasisbarhatien has been a member since 12/8/2010. Posts: 113
 Send oasisbarhatien a private message   Website 

Posted by Goldigga on 13/11/2010 at 11:27

Thanks for the replies guys. Our plans are changing a bit now though. We hadn't origanally planned on visitng Cambodia to see Ankor Wat, but we couldn't miss the opportunity while we are in this part of the world. So the rest of the trip is looking like this

HCMC - 2 days

Fly to Siem Reap - 3 days

Taxi / Bus to Phnom Penh - overnight stay

PP - Chao Doc by boat
2/3 days around Chao Doc / Can Tho

Can Tho - Rach Gia - PQ Taxi / Ferry or fly
Phu Quoc 4 nights

Phu Quoc - Ha Tien - Sihanoulville Ferry / Taxi
Sihanoukville - 1 night

Lazy Beach - Koh Rong 2 days

Koh Rong - Sihanoulville - Trat boat / taxi

Koh Chang and surrounding islands 9 days

I have heard that Lazy beach on Koh Rong is a great spot. Is Ko Russei worth visitng also? We could spend a few less days on Koh Chang to do this. Advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#4 Goldigga has been a member since 20/10/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by eastwest on 13/11/2010 at 15:02

Looks like a good plan. Ko Russei is nice as well but a lot closer to the main land.

Advantage is that there are better accommodation options and probably more food choice but it lacks the real getaway feeling. Although the bungalows on the other side (not facing main land) of the island also have a real getaway feeling to it but the island still receives daytrippers that do an island tour. Not a real problem since it's probably only 30-50 people per day during lunch time or so.

All in all not that much difference between the two. I wouldn't say there's that much difference between the two and not worth to switch. But then again, I'm not really an island/beach lover.....

#5 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.