Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

travelling around Dalat

Posted by issac888 on 9/11/2010 at 17:59

I will be travelling alone to Dalat soon. However I had not sort out what is the best way to travel around Dalat. Ideally I would prefer walking around but it seems that some of the attraction are quite far apart and out of town.

I'm now considering renting a bicycle and cycle around. Will this be a good options and advisable? I'm more concern about the safety of cycling alone out of town to the waterfalls and leaving the bicycle unattended while i'm visiting the attactions.

Another options I've heard is to travel around with easyrider. Can anyone give me an idea of how much roughly it will cost me for 1 day around Dalat? I'm on a very tight budget for this trip.

#1 issac888 has been a member since 9/11/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by rawjer on 9/11/2010 at 19:40

Dalat is a hill city, and most of those attractions in the area are quite a distance away, down the hill. Unfortunately, riding a bike would not only be exhausting on the uphill parts, but also fairly dangerous as well. The roads in that area are barely big enough for two cars or trucks, and bikes don't seem common, so you'd always be a target.

A motorbike, on the other hand, would be fine, although those out-of-town sights could be hard to find since there are no signs in English, and the roads are a maze in general.

The one-day Easy Rider tours cost about US$20, and they'll take you to all the main sights at a relaxed pace, according to people I spoke to who did it. I took a minibus tour to the same spots for US$15, and it was pretty comfortable and done well. Just go to one of the restaurants with an English-language name and the Easy Riders will soon approach you.

Things like the main market and the Crazy House are walking distance from most of the hotels.

#2 rawjer has been a member since 20/1/2010. Posts: 104
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by issac888 on 9/11/2010 at 21:28

Thanks rawjer. Thats a great piece of advice.
However, what's the minibus tour and where could I get more information?

#3 issac888 has been a member since 9/11/2010. Posts: 2

Posted by rawjer on 9/11/2010 at 22:42

I think there's only one minibus tour in Dalat, and you can book it through pretty much any hotel you might be staying at, although the price might be a bit different from one to another. I don't think there is a website for the tour.

I stayed at the excellent Dreams Hotel and when I asked about booking it they told me to go down the block to the Peace Cafe, which seems to be the busiest tour and transport booking spot in town, along with being a major hang out of the Easy Riders. The food at that place is not as good as most of the other Western-friendly places in town, but the location is great, and it seems to be one of the better cheap hotels there.

https://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/vietnam/central_highlands/lam_dong/da_lat/all/3105

#4 rawjer has been a member since 20/1/2010. Posts: 104
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by violets on 10/11/2010 at 17:51

You can walk around to a lot of sites and then catch a xe om if you get tired.

For places a little further afield, there are a number of people other than the Easy Riders these days who do a good tour, and the Easy Riders vary considerably. I'd talk to anyone you consider as a guide for a while and see how good their english is and whether they offer what you want.

#5 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 151

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.