Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Saigon to Mekong Delta?

Posted by Rcarriere on 21/11/2010 at 13:01

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anybody has advice on going to Mekong Delta from HCMC. I've been reading about taking a 1 or 2 day tour from the city..but I was wondering if it is something that I could do on my own without booking a tour.
Also wondering whether 1 day is enough time in Mekong Delta or if I should expect to want to stay for 2-3 days before heading back to HCMC.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

#1 Rcarriere has been a member since 3/11/2010. Posts: 1
 Send Rcarriere a private message 

Posted by eastwest on 21/11/2010 at 16:07

I don't think it's wise to do it yourself for 1 day. If you have limited time take a 1 day tour. For 2-3 days doing it yourself is better. Gives you more time and options to choose/organize what you want to do.

The Mekong delta starts to get really interesting when you get away from the main roads/riverways and that's difficult to achieve in 1 day by yourself.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by violets on 21/11/2010 at 18:09

It takes a couple of hours to get down to the Mekong from Saigon and then you're just on the edge. There are lots of cities and towns in the Mekong- all different- and quite diverse countryside. And you could spend a few interesting days in any one of them.

Probably the best plan is to go to Can Tho for a few days, spend the morning on a small boat seeing the floating markets and the beautiful canals, spend a dy on a bike looking around at the countryside or maybe go to a nearby town, like Sa Dec or Tra Vinh overnight, and you get a bit of an idea of the area.

A 3 day tour would take you a bit further, and really more quickly than you could get by yourself, but you will just see a tourist scene.

It's a huge area and slow to get around it. Read up on the different places in the area and decide which ones sound best to you.

#3 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 151

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.