Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Saigon Cafe Travel

Posted by ShanleyJ on 16/12/2010 at 14:38

Hello! I read through the travelfish website for info on the Ha Long Bay tours and went with the Flashpacker choice and contacted and reserved with Saigon Cafe Travel. After reading the travelfish site about Vietnam and the huge amount of scams, especially on Ha Long Bay tours, I was wondering if anyone could vouch for this agency or share any experiences. We leave in 8 days, any advice would be so great. Thanks!

#1 ShanleyJ has been a member since 16/12/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by sems on 19/12/2010 at 07:09

I don't have any experience with this company, I understand your apprehension with the scam aspect of Halong Bay, there are seemingly a million different options and apparently some come with free rats and no food!!
Firstly I don't know if what you have booked comes with transfers from Hanoi to Cat Ba, but I can vouch for the Hoang Long bus company transfers (big bus, mini bus, boat, mini bus 4hrs $11USD) which sounds more daunting than it is. It is well organized, runs 4 times a day and is so cheap! More on that later...
Secondly I don't know what you want to do (junk boat, overnight cruises, kayaking, swimming, rock climbing) but I can suggest you check out slopony adventures, they have a great website, friendly and helpful non-pushy advise on just about everything (probably not a rival company though!!) We found their prices amazingly cheap (they have a base price, then the more people who go the less you pay, obviously you pay more for private tours) And they have a comprehensive step by step of the Hoang Long transfers.
I know that experiences are subjective to personal taste, one man's trash and all that, but we were so happy with them we went out twice, and I can say that we could fault nothing, great staff, plenty of lunch (simple but tasty), street prices drinks, and a casual hassle free feel to the whole day and heard no complaints from any other passengers. You could check them out before you go and see if they offer more than your current booking, especially if you haven't paid any money. Travel safe :)

#2 sems has been a member since 8/8/2010. Posts: 28
 Send sems a private message 

Posted by passthatversace on 28/8/2012 at 23:21

Posted from within Vietnam.

To the original poster...how was your experience with Saigon Cafe travels? I am about to book with them and I can't find any other reviews about them since the Travel Fish article was posted.

#3 passthatversace has been a member since 30/6/2012. Posts: 9
 Send passthatversace a private message 

Posted by russeet on 25/5/2013 at 04:41

Hi there,

Does anyone else have any experiences with this company? Am really looking for someone's review of them and their experience.

Many Thanks

#4 russeet has been a member since 25/5/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by daawgon on 25/5/2013 at 12:48

You get what you pay for when it comes to Halong Bay cruises - I advise you to go with a company with some experience and references, buyer beware!

#5 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,132
 Send daawgon a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.