Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Accommodation

Posted by ChrisJenko on 28/12/2010 at 15:53

Hi all,

Hope everyone has had a great xmas... anyways im after some advice for accommodation in Ho Chi Minh for next week. i'll be flying into Vietnam on the 4th Jan to start my 12th month tour of South East Asia ... getting excited its so close... And i havent booked any accommodation yet, now i know that Pham Ngu Lao is the backpacker district and where much of the cheap hotels ect are located.

I have a few places in mind that i am leaning towards booking for the first 1-2 nights... my post is asking for any advice from recent travelers who have stayed in the area on any good places and any warnings for the area.

Any advice appreciated

#1 ChrisJenko has been a member since 4/11/2010. Posts: 18
 Send ChrisJenko a private message 

Posted by JiroIsCounting on 29/12/2010 at 08:21

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello there Chris Jenko,

Good to hear you will visit HCMC (Saigon City).
Pham Ngu Lao is a street at District 1...Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Street and De Tham Street are streets in District 1 which we considered backpackers area... Those streets are all connected to each other, Pham Ngu Lao and Bui Vien is parallel to each other....I used to stay in Pham Ngu Lao for years ,but now i moved to another..
There are many mini hotels, hostel, guest house (or whatever you wish to call those places) in this areas....You dont need to get early bookings... You can just ask a taxi in the airport to bring you to that area, and you can have a walk and choose a decent place to stay in.....You can stroll and scout those streets, anyways all are just short streets....
Room rates varies (from USD 7-25 per night)

take care of your DSLR and bags...exchange your foreign currency along de tham or banks not at the hotels (they give you much lower rates)..theres one near caravelle hotel (but thats a bit far from Pham Ngu Lao).....

Hope the above helps
Have fun and be safe...

#2 JiroIsCounting has been a member since 23/12/2010. Posts: 24

Posted by mikethediver on 30/12/2010 at 03:09

You don't need to take a taxi (an less you want too) as a bus runs into the backpacker area directly from the airport. Just ask at the airport. Once in Pham Ngu Lao walk up the little alleys there are many cheap and quiet(!) places as traffic cant get up the alleys, save a few bikes.

Other things, as stated in all the guide books - watch out for drive by thieves. Don't wear gold jewelery, especially necklaces and watch bags & cameras.

#3 mikethediver has been a member since 23/3/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 206
 Send mikethediver a private message   Website 

Posted by daawgon on 31/12/2010 at 02:17

I always stay at the wonderful Bich Duyen Hotel, but there's also the Blue River Hotel next door - both get great reviews and the price is great. I paid $27. at the Bich for a better room (rates start about $18.).

contact the Bich manager, Chanh, at this address: bichduyenhotel@yahoo.com

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,133
 Send daawgon a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.