Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Mai Chau- getting there & where to stay.

Posted by MiaBritton on 30/12/2010 at 07:44

I'm off to Vietnam in February and have a couple of days with nothing planned so far. I can spend more time in the Mekong and Hanoi or take a 1d1n trip to Mai Chau. Am I allowing enough time to get there, see a bit and get back to Hanoi again?

There's a bit of info on the buses, but no estimates on how long the trip is- can anyone tell me?
Also, what homestays did you go to, where were they (I know a few of the better ones are out of the main area) and how much were they?

#1 MiaBritton has been a member since 25/11/2009. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 17
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by daawgon on 31/12/2010 at 02:11

Most people take the tour to Mai Chau from Hanoi, but you could also take a public bus or hired car - about 3 hrs one way. There are 3 places to stay: the 4 star Mai Chau Lodge, the new Homestay Hotel (link below) and then the individual stilt houses in the minority (White Thai) villages.

http://www.maichaunatureplace.com/?page=news&catid=2

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,113

Posted by travellingsarah on 31/12/2010 at 10:38 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

The Mai Chau section on this site has recently been updated so have a look there - it gives prices but you're looking at roughly 150,000 for dinner, bed and breakfast. The new Homestay place isn't covered but looks like a good option if you want your own room. It took us more like 4 hours to get there last time, but then, we changed buses in Hoa Binh as we couldn't get on a direct bus.

It's quite a bit of travelling for just one night but it's certainly feasible.

#3 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.