Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Phnom Penh - Saigon

Posted by sholafish on 10/1/2011 at 01:48

Hi, quick piece of advice needed. Going from PP to Saigon but have enought time to explore the Mekong Delta for at least 2-3 days. I was wondering whether people thought it would be better to get the bus to Saigon first and then take a 2-3 day trip out to Chau Doc /Can Tho, or go direct from PP to Chau Doc on the boat and then move on to Saigon after?

I know the latter would seem the more sensible but is that boat to Chau Doc more hassle than it's worth?

Thanks in advance

#1 sholafish has been a member since 20/12/2010. Posts: 22
 Send sholafish a private message 

Posted by eastwest on 10/1/2011 at 11:19

That boat is fine and well arranged. Probably not as smooth as the bus but the scenery makes up for it.
Advantage is that you get straight to the heart of the Mekong delta and the bustrip from PP to HCMC is not that exciting in terms of scenery.
Would also save you some backtracking to HCMC.

I'd take the Chau Doc option if I were you. Minimal extra hassle for better scenery and efficiency.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778
 Send eastwest a private message 

Posted by mikethediver on 11/1/2011 at 04:25

We took the boat last year and it was fine - although the boat we got on was nothing like the picture we were shown when we booked!!! But it was OK and the scenery was worth it. No hasstle at all if fact the border crossing was one of the easest I've done. I'd take the boat again.

#3 mikethediver has been a member since 23/3/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 206
 Send mikethediver a private message   Website 

Posted by jonyd1 on 11/1/2011 at 08:13

I also did a boat from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc (I went through Blue Cruiser, but there were cheaper options as well). The boat was super easy - border crossing took all of 5 minutes. The ride itself was kind of nice as well. The boat drops you off in Chau Doc about 5 minutes from the center of town.

#4 jonyd1 has been a member since 29/9/2010. Posts: 23
 Website 

Posted by sholafish on 11/1/2011 at 15:33

That's all really helpful, thanks a lot. Anyone got any budget guesthouse recommendations? Good things seem to be said about Trung Nguyen Hotel, but that's only what I've gathered from wonderful travelfish!

#5 sholafish has been a member since 20/12/2010. Posts: 22

Posted by jonyd1 on 11/1/2011 at 21:42

Trung Nguyen is where I stayed while in Chau Doc - it was fine - helpful front desk, clean rooms, etc. It's right across from them market as well. Enjoy!

#6 jonyd1 has been a member since 29/9/2010. Posts: 23
 Website 

Posted by sholafish on 13/1/2011 at 16:49

Thanks very much

#7 sholafish has been a member since 20/12/2010. Posts: 22

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.