Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Which beach Nha Trang or Mui ne

Posted by skottypa on 5/2/2011 at 06:57

Posted from within Vietnam.

I have 3 days left in Vietnam and I want to spend it on the beach catching some rays and swimming. Which beach do you reccomend? I was leaning towards Mui ne but I can't find a hotel for around $20 or less a night. I love to swim so water quality is the most important. Any advice? Thank you

#1 skottypa has been a member since 20/1/2011. Posts: 9

Posted by vietnamrum on 5/2/2011 at 15:26

Your biggest problem will be bus or train availability. You need to check that first.

I have not been to Mun Ne but have lived in Nha Trang off and on for the last 3 years.

I stay at Hon Chong - an area 3.5ks from the Tourist area.
During the first 2 days of TET it was very busy over my side. I did not go into town at all.

Been in the tourist area since and lots of business's are still closed and decent amount of westerners walking about.

The quest houses my side are not busy so there is availability. I am sure it is easy enough even in the tourist area. TET generally is busy and less options and more expensive than when it finishes 8th Feb.

I pay $5 a night for accommodation but i live here and can negotiate better rates. That is internet, air con and cable TV.

The Sailing club and louisiane Brew House both are on the beach and you can rent sun beds.
Vietnam is all coast line so beach everywhere. search nha trang vietnam and you can look at the layout of the town.

It has been sunny the last few days but windy.

#2 vietnamrum has been a member since 21/1/2011. Posts: 39

Posted by Randy on 5/2/2011 at 23:57

Randy's experience about MuiNe, Vietnam. I and my wife tried to blend in with local people, so we stay away from fancy beach hotels with uniform guards greeting us and fancy swimming pools in the yard facing to ocean...And the verdict? We got a AC room, facing with the beach, 2 doulbe beds with...economy price, I forgot, just around 15US bucks per day and night. At early morning, all kind of Vietnamese families gathering on beach, we had freshly seafood right on the beach(crabs). We found out, people were friendly, staffs were polite, helpful, plenty of foods to eat with...super cheap, clean, safe environment. Every evening, we got taxi go in PhanThiet Town to enjoy night life there(not much around MuiNe at night, though) and came back to our "base" to shower and sleep. Remember, if you love fishsauce of Vietnam, PhanThiet is the best place to buy(better than anywhere in vn, according to locals) Myself and wife, a fan of...any native foods, ended up with a whole box with 16 fishsauce bottles, careful packed by locals and on my way back to Canada...With that amount of fish sauces..disappeared through relatives within 3 days...still NOT ENOUGH! Wish you all have nice trip in MuiNe. If you want either prolong your trip and economy, learning, exploring locals' culture, try to blend in as most as possible. They all are friendly, helpful, nice people I ever met during my travellings around Asia. Cheer.

#3 Randy has been a member since 3/2/2011. Posts: 28

Posted by skottypa on 6/2/2011 at 06:43

What was the name of the place where you stayed for $15? Thanks

#4 skottypa has been a member since 20/1/2011. Posts: 9

Posted by Randy on 6/2/2011 at 09:19

..I forgot the name of the place. But one thing for sure, it was 3 or 4 adjacent houses on the row. They were glass windows, air-conditioning, wooden doors and window frames with stain, reddish-brown color. They all were located in a fenced yard, next to a big restaurant with a little souvernir shop, the parking had enough room for around 5 cars/vans. One more thing, there were a lot of plastic chairs and tables in cement yard. Rarely with presence of Westerners there. From Phanthiet, you go down, passing all nice hotels and buildings on the beach side. If walking or driving down the road you couldn't see these houses because they all were faced to ocean. No one would greet you when you first come in because the main entrance was for customers going into the restaurant, mainly.That's all I can recall...

#5 Randy has been a member since 3/2/2011. Posts: 28

Posted by svendj on 8/2/2011 at 15:34

mui ne doens't have a lot to offer, I'd definitely go to nha trang and go out of the main area. local beaches with not even 1 tourist around. love it!

#6 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Send svendj a private message   Where has svendj been? 

Posted by DivingVietNam on 29/3/2011 at 18:18

Aloha and Thanks for The Support of Nha Trang Mui Ne is Very Nice but more for Windsurfing and Kite Boarding than Snorkeling Scuba Diving or Swimming Like in Nha Trang if Interested in Any of these Scuba, Snorkeling contact Newest Dive Center Mark Scott's Diving Viet Nam with Aloha.
Please Contact with any question You Have about Nha Trang VietNam.
Aloha Mark.

#7 DivingVietNam has been a member since 29/3/2011. Location: United States. Posts: 13
 Send DivingVietNam a private message   Website 

Posted by candyman on 30/3/2011 at 05:35

I've only been to Mui Ne but if I were you I would try out Nha Trang . The swimming wasn't the greatest around Mui Ne--the water isn't too clear and the sand is not that great. From what I heard, Mui Ne was definitely quieter than Nha Trang, but I'm sure with a little bit of research/exploring you could find a quite spot in Nha Trang if that is your thing.

#8 candyman has been a member since 20/10/2009. Posts: 20

Posted by travellingsarah on 30/3/2011 at 18:09 TF writer

I'm guessing I'm too late to help you out skottypa but in my experience neither Nha Trang nor Mui Ne have great water for swimming along the beach. You might be OK in the mornings but by lunchtime the waves and drag can get quite ferocious. Out at sea it's better so taking a boat trip out from Nha Trang could get you to calm seas. Or look elsewhere along the coast - I've only been to the centre of each so just outside, where Vietnamrum mentions, could be completely different.

#9 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by idee00 on 31/3/2011 at 11:35

@ randy
did you stay in phan thiet or in mui ne?
if in phan thiet, do you mean next to the golf course in the east or was your guest house in the west?
we want to go there tomorrow and your description sounded really nice.
thanks, Irene

#10 idee00 has been a member since 31/3/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by vivuvietnam on 31/3/2011 at 16:26

Both are nice!, Resorts in Muine are very nice, just one thing, if you do not want to see many Russians, just choose Nha Trang.

#11 vivuvietnam has been a member since 31/3/2011. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.