Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Best place in Vietnam, Phong Nha Farmstay

Posted by PeteandBeaver on 26/3/2011 at 19:44

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you are traveling Vietnam and don't want to miss out on the best trip possible then go to Phong Nha Farmstay in Quang Binh central Vietnam. We have travelled all over Aisa and this is one of the best highlights, you will be greated by Ben and Bich and their friendly staff for an amazing time. They have got everything right the location, the accomodation and the best trips available around amazing Phong Nha National Park mixed with the comfortable home vibe. It is like visiting jurrasic park with turquoise blue water, rain forest, breath taking mountains and caves.We can not say enough good things to miss it is to miss out, we will definately be back....

#1 PeteandBeaver has been a member since 26/3/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by douluvme49 on 20/8/2011 at 13:32

this was our favorite place in vietnam. We spent 10 days there the first time, went to Hanoi, sold our motorbikes and went back for another 15 days. We Promise we will return again!!!

#2 douluvme49 has been a member since 4/2/2011. Posts: 33

Posted by karuthless on 14/9/2011 at 22:39

Apparently Tripadvisor sent out a rep to check the place out because they were suspicious that a place could be so consistently well rated. He left convinced.

Great place, Phong Nha-Ke Bang is awesome, spent 2 days there, would have stayed longer (that said, the place has a very 'backpacker-hostel' vibe, in case thats not your thing).

#3 karuthless has been a member since 23/3/2011. Posts: 10

Posted by biersal on 15/9/2011 at 02:58

I visited Phong Nha-Ke Bang and had an amazing time. I recommend it to every person headed to Vietnam.

I didn't end up staying at the farm because I didn't know about it until I was already leaving, but I talked to Ben on the phone and he was very friendly and helpful (I wanted to visit Son Doong cave but it just wasn't going to happen)

I will be heading back to Phong Nha-Ke Bang the next time I am in Vietnam and plan on staying at the farm.

#4 biersal has been a member since 15/9/2011. Location: United States. Posts: 4
 Send biersal a private message   Website 

Posted by FaithHC on 16/9/2011 at 01:19

I had a one night stay at Phong Nha farm Stay whilst travelling from north to south during a four week visit to Vietnam. It was my 3rd trip to Vietnam and I have to say it was a real stand out and remains one of my most delightful memories of all the trips to Vietnam. The hosts, Ben and Bich, have established a marvellous place for the visitor to take in the beauty of the nearby national park. The newly built colonial style guesthouse is set on the edge a large valley that is covered by rice paddy and framed by the nearby mountains of the Ke Bang National Park. The rooms are very clean and comfortable; the dining room and bar a great place for travellers to meet in the evenings to recount the days travels. Make sure you try the Pho!
On the day of my arrival, Ben arranged to pick me up in the nearby town of Dong Hoi and transferred me to the farm stay. After settling in, I took a motorbike trip with Ben and one other traveller, up through the national park to one of the newly opened caves in the area, Paradise Cave with a picnic by the stream that emerges from the cave. The tour was a wonderful experience, the natural beauty of the cave and the park supplemented by Ben’s detailed knowledge of the recent history of the area, in particular as the Ho Chi Minh trail started nearby. This tour, whether it is on a motorbike with Ben or in his van should be on every traveller’s to do list. Other tour options are also available, or you can just take out a pedal bike and get lost amongst the villages and paddy fields.
In the evening I relaxed with the other guests staying at the farm stay as well as the hosts Ben and Bich and their family. Ben and Bich are perfect hosts and the farm stay is the embodiment of their vision for opening up the area. I was reluctant to leave the next day, but I knew that if I didn’t, it would be sometime before I recommenced my travels.

#5 FaithHC has been a member since 20/8/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by KevandJho on 16/9/2011 at 08:04

Lol !....I had our travel itinery all figured out and then I read a post like this and now I'm thinking of re-scheduling again.

Sounds like a great place!!!

We would have to shorten up Nha Trang , Hoi An or Phu Quoc, a day or two of juggling ,here and there to fit it in.....or perhaps a little of Cambodia???

We are going to Hoi An for sure and its a 350 Km , 5 1/2 hour bus ride to get from Hoi An to Phong Nha , so we'd have to think about it.Also we will be up to Hoi An in late December so the weather might be iffy for Phong Nha then.

Anyone know anything about a bus trip from Hoi An to Phong Nha? It's a coastal bus trip so it might be worthwhile. I'll start another thread about it.

Thanks for your report.

#6 KevandJho has been a member since 15/9/2011. Posts: 65

Posted by travellingsarah on 16/9/2011 at 08:11 TF writer

Couldn't see if you'd started another thread .... You'll probably have to get the bus to Dong Hoi and from there get a taxi ( Phong Nha Farmstay can arrange) direct to the Farmstay or get a local bus to Phong Nha town and a taxi from there. Note that Phong Nha Farmstay is actually about 8km from Phong Nha town.

#7 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.