Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Ho Chi Minh - Dalat - Nha Trang - Hanoi - Ha Long Bay

Posted by gladysymho on 2/5/2011 at 14:04

Hi everyone,
I am planning a 8 day trip to Vietnam in July 2011 and wanted to know if
1. the direction of travel and
2. the duration spent at these destinations are well-planned or should I skip some destinations?

1D in Ho Chi Minh City - No intention to do the Mekong Tour (Evening bus ride to the next destination)
3D4N Dalat
1D1N Nha Trang(Flight to Hanoi)
0.5D Hanoi(Sinh Cafe Bus to Ha Long Bay)
2D2N Ha Long Bay

I have also heard good feedback about Hue, Da Nang, Mui Ne and Hoi An.

3. Should I be swamping any of my destinations for the above?

4. Is there any recommendations for accommodations and travel routes from HCM to Dalat and Nha Trang?

Thanks for your help!

#1 gladysymho has been a member since 30/4/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by Pikkie on 17/5/2011 at 22:06

Hey there!!

It looks good with the direction of your trip. Best to work your way up or down, I dont think it matters which way you do it.
The time lines seem ok too, although I have not been to Dalat so I cant say if that is to long/long enough. I went to Hoi An and enjoyed that, it is a lovely little town. We didn't to much siteseeing there we went to the beach and this is a good place if you want to get any clothes made there is a main street that is just filled with clothing shops. If you want to do this, you will need to be there ar least 2/3 days as it takes a little while to make everything.

If you were to swop anything I would suggest Dalat and Nha Trang for any of the others as I think that others are a definate. I would just read up on all the ones you mentioned and see if any of them appeal to you more then Dalat or Nha Trang. You definatley will not be able to do them all, so just go for the ones that you like the sound of.

With regards to travel it is very easy to get around. You will be able to book a bus ticket (for almost any travel shop in HCMC) that will be able to take you from HCMC to Nha Trang and Dalat, see if you can get an overnight bus as that will save on accomodation and free up your days for sightseeing.

Ha Long bay is amazing. I did my trip throug Hanoi Backpackers (where I was staying). What we did hear is dont go for the cheapest tour as you might be moved from boat to boat, go for a bit more expensive one - it will be worth it.

Hope that helps.

#2 Pikkie has been a member since 17/5/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by MADMAC on 18/5/2011 at 02:32

Personally I would spend all eight days in one place. So little time, I wouldn't want to surrender any traveling around. But that's me. It's not insanely hectic at any rate.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by busylizzy on 18/5/2011 at 03:50

Definitely reduce your time in Dalat and spend more time in Hanoi . I enjoyed Dalat as a place to chill out in for a few days but I had been on the road for quite awhile at that point. Given your limited time, I don't think it warrants longer than 2 nights.

In terms of Nha Trang - I would suggest skipping it altogether - and those days on to Hanoi. It's an OK beach area, but nothing special. Hanoi is far more interesting.

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by travellingsarah on 18/5/2011 at 09:12 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

I agree - cut your time in Dalat: the scenery around it is stunning so it's worth a day or two if that's what you're after but I don't think much of the town itself. Also agree about Nha Trang - if you're desperate for a beach then go, but you've only got one day there anyway which hardly makes it worth it the extra travel when you could fly from Dalat to Hanoi . Then spend the extra days in Hanoi and / or add an extra day to your Halong trip so you can get a bit of beach time there.

#5 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.