Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Buying rack clothing

Posted by Cerritos on 17/5/2011 at 23:57

Been looking at my wardrobe, such as it is. Since Vietnam makes shorts, cargo pants, T and polo shirts and I need some new ones - can I easily buy them cheaper in Vietnam than in the states. What cities have the preferred markets. Do they have size and color selections. I'm assuming all prices are negotiable. Any cautionary info. Thanks

#1 Cerritos has been a member since 17/4/2011. Posts: 3

Posted by daawgon on 18/5/2011 at 01:26

It certainly helps if you have the small size Asian body, otherwise you're very limited where you can buy. In Hoi An especially, you can have anything custom made in a matter of hours. No, all prices are not negotiable!

Just because Nike's are made in VN, don't expect to be able to find the very same products very easily that are sold in S. California.

You will see brand name stores in the large cities - I passed a Puma store in Hanoi a few months ago, but did not go in.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,114

Posted by MADMAC on 18/5/2011 at 01:31

Generally speaking clothing is cheaper here than in the States or Europe, but the quality back in those places is better. That's not hard and fast, but a pretty good rule of thumb.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by busylizzy on 18/5/2011 at 03:53

The funny thing, Mac, is that all that 'quality' clothing in the US and Europe was probably made in SEA in the first place!

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 18/5/2011 at 11:37

It is funny. You can buy that same quality clothing here too, but the price is high. You get what you pay for you. I bought a nice pair of pants here, very stylish and comfortable, good material - I bargained down to 1,500 baht.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.