Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hanoi - Beijing Train

Posted by jonny_lewis07 on 3/6/2011 at 04:26

Hitting Thailand > Laos > Cambodia > Vietnam from September onwards, and just crossed my mind that I may well be in Hanoi towards the end of January 2012. It also came to my attention today that Chinese New Year is February 3rd 2012, and sounds awesome!
So obviously, just wondering if anybody has made the trip from North Vietnam to Beijing by train and has any information about price, length, tolerance etc? Plane stories also welcome, but I just figured immediately that it would cost more.

Also, would people here recommend Beijing or Hong Kong? Obviously it would be easier and cheaper to get to Hong Kong from Hanoi but would it be as grand an occasion as I'm sure Beijing would deliver?
Keep on truckin'.

#1 jonny_lewis07 has been a member since 3/6/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by daawgon on 6/6/2011 at 11:08

Actually, that's the 2011 Tet date (2012 is Jan 23rd). You could well have problems then since prices usually double and transport is near impossible unless you have reservations.

I haven't taken the train, but I do know that it's actually at least 2 trains. The Viet train only goes to the border, you have to leave the train and walk across the border, and then board another Chinese train. I also believe that train is not daily, and that the bus service is much faster and better. The situation seems to be constantly changing, and at the present time the two countries are having territorial disputes (just cross your fingers that a small war doesn't develop).

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,129
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by travellingsarah on 6/6/2011 at 17:29 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

It takes about 48 hours I believe and absolutely agree regarding the problems you might have getting tickets at Tet. But I plan to do the trip one day - I might just break it up a bit.

#3 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.