Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

21 Days - HCMC to Hanoi

Posted by drewtheshmoo on 7/6/2011 at 05:46

Hi everyone,
i'm planning on spending 21 days travelling from Chau Doc up to Hanoi , where i'll get a connecting flight back to bangkok.

i've highlighted the places that i really want to visit but i'm concerned that having done that, on average it only leaves me with 2 days in each place, which, for some places is a little less than i'd've liked. I thought about spending a few days in Nha Trang unwinding after a couple of weeks of Bangkok to HCMC overland, and maybe spending more time in Hanoi at the back end of the trip also. Places i'd like to go are: HCMC, Dalat, Miu Ne, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi, Halong Bay.

so, what i'm asking really is what are people's suggestions of the `must see` places, and maybe some places that are only worth a day and are more of a quick stop over. i'd like to see a combination of the culture, the people, the war and the temples...usual stuff i expect!

anyway, any help would be muchly appreciated. I'm i trying to fit in too much?

#1 drewtheshmoo has been a member since 3/6/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by travellingsarah on 7/6/2011 at 13:53 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

I did a trip of a similar length in Vietnam 8 years ago and went to all the places on your list except Mui Ne . I had an amazing trip and didn't feel it was too rushed (although I did it again last year and took 5 weeks and could have spent longer!). However, if you want to focus your time a bit more (you asked for personal opinions so here are mine) you could skip Nha Trang and Mui Ne (unless you want to do water sports or snorkelling / surfing or are looking for a party) and unwind in Hoi An instead. And if you're not stopping there you could also miss Dalat and then save time by flying from HCMC to Danang. Assuming you are going to be travelling through the Mekong (from Chau Doc) you'll get a good mix of places - except you won't see any highlands / mountain areas.

#2 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by drewtheshmoo on 10/6/2011 at 04:30

Thanks for that, i'd not considered shooting straight up to Danang. I'll give it some thought. I reckon i could free up about a week if i go straight from HCMC to Danang.

#3 drewtheshmoo has been a member since 3/6/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by gatvietnam on 15/6/2011 at 19:13

Posted from within Vietnam.

Day 1; Ho chi minh arrival
2&3: Ho chi minh city tour
4:Ho Chiminh - Cu chi
5. Ho Chi Minh- Nhatrang
6. Nha Trang
7. Nha Trang
8. Nha Trang flight to Danang, Hoian
9, Hoian-Myson
10, Hoian
11. Hoian
12. Hoian- Hue
13. Hue
14. Hue- Hanoi
15. hanoi
16. Hanoi-Hoa Lu-Tam coc
17. Hanoi-Halong Bay
18. Halong bay-Hanoi- night train to slao cai
19. Sapa visit ( cat cat village)
20. sapa visit (Ta Phin village-sillver waterfall)
21. Sapa visit (lao chai-Ta van village)
22. Hanoi rrival about 5h00

#4 gatvietnam has been a member since 9/5/2011. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 34
 Send gatvietnam a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.