Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

River cruise Saigon to Phnom Penh/Siem Reap

Posted by amarie on 3/7/2011 at 00:02

In order to get from Saigon to Phnom Penh , is it best to hire a cruise or to do the trip myself? I was leaning towards taking my own trip but am wondering if anyone could give the details of how to take on the endeavor. I was thinking one night in Can Tho, another in Chau Doc, and finally moving my way up to Phnom Penh. Would anyone recommend this route and if so, what boats would be best to take? Is this route rather easy to complete?

Finally, on route to Phnom Penh - Siem Reap, is a bus or a boat better?

Many thanks!

#1 amarie has been a member since 2/7/2011. Posts: 5

Posted by fox80 on 3/7/2011 at 10:01

Posted from within Vietnam.

We've traveled this route but in opposite direction two months ago. From Phnom Penh to Chau Doc we used the speedboat (the company was Hang Chau and it costs $24/pp, takes around 5h) and found it to be very good (better that traveling by bus anyway). The boat was small, there were only 5 passengers and 2 boat drivers. We booked it through travel agent in PP. I believe they also offer slowboat service, which takes 12h and costs half as well.
In Chau Doc we stayed a few days and then traveled by minivan (crazy driver!) to Can Tho where we arranged a boat trip to the floating markets independently. Both Chau Doc and Can Tho are very interesting and quite different cities. Oh and from Phnom Penh we travelled by bus to Siem Reap but we stopped for a few days in Battambang. Bus was OK but it is a bit slow and can be tiring. The best bus service in Cambodia in my opinion is Mekong Limousine bus. Let me know if you have any questions.

#2 fox80 has been a member since 12/2/2010. Posts: 22

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.