Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Sapa in January?

Posted by Joey82 on 8/7/2011 at 03:12

I will be travelling South through Vietnam next year and will be in Hanoi around late January. I was really looking forward to going upto Sapa but only just read about the climate and it sounds really cold at this time in the north. Has anyone been there in January? If it's going to be really cold i will probably give it a miss as i don't have room in my backpack for winter jacket! Please can someone advise : )

#1 Joey82 has been a member since 7/7/2011. Posts: 13
 Send Joey82 a private message 

Posted by daawgon on 8/7/2011 at 06:00

Jan weather in Sapa is really quite unpredictable, except that it probably won't be too warm! I've been there in March and also Oct - warm to mild with a great deal of fog. I suggest using those new tech layers that skiers use - snow is pretty rare, but it's not unknown. Also, follow the weather pattern B4 your trip - these days you can look ahead about 10 days. Beware of Tet in '12 - late January that year.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,129
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by KenPeterson on 8/7/2011 at 16:11

It is highly seasonal, with a subtropical climate in summer and a temperate climate during the winter. Temperatures in January and February are regularly around 0ÂșC. Coldest month, cloudy, foggy but not too wet. better from early days and gets worse to the later half of the month.January through March can be cold.

Car Rental France

#3 KenPeterson has been a member since 8/7/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by Nokka on 8/7/2011 at 17:03

I was in Sapa in January 2010. The weather can be a little unpredictable. We arrived by overnight train from Hanoi - very early morning - it was pretty cold then. We had light fleeces and lightweight jackets, which were just about good enough. Later, the sun shone and it was fine for trekking - perfect in fact - we were able to eat outside etc. By night it came in cold again. I think we had electric blankets in our room. Next day was very misty, so the beautiful views were obscured somewhat. That's how it is, I guess. Was it worth it ? Yes, I would say it was - for me this was far preferable to trekking in extreme summer temperatures.

#4 Nokka has been a member since 6/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 259
 Send Nokka a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.