Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hanoi route

Posted by lagale on 10/7/2011 at 20:43

All the guidebooks state you should go Hanoi--Hue--Hoi An--HCM. However my friend who travels often there says he prefers Hanoi--Hoi An--Hue--HCM. It seems the travel time is the same although it does 'appear' to be backtracking. Any comments?

#1 lagale has been a member since 9/7/2011. Posts: 5

Posted by violets on 11/7/2011 at 06:33

I have done it both ways. It makes a few hours difference if you are travelling by train, but really depends on what suits you at the time. I particularly like the train trip between the two, and it only costs about $3 in a soft seat.

#2 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 152

Posted by lagale on 11/7/2011 at 07:20

We will be flying from Hanoi and the flight time is about the same for either Hue or Danang. Then we will drive between the 2 cities. From there we plan to fly to HCM. But since the flight times are more or less the same, I didn't understand the insistence that Hue come before Danang and thought there might be more that I didn't know. At this point we are travelling Hanoi--Danang/Hoi An--Hue--HCM.

#3 lagale has been a member since 9/7/2011. Posts: 5

Posted by violets on 12/7/2011 at 06:27

Really no reason. It only makes a difference really if you do the overnight train because it takes another 2 or 3 hours to get to Danang.

While you are going through Danang, it is worth having a look at the Cham museum.

#4 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 152

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.