Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Can Cou or Bac Ha Market?

Posted by Tessie on 19/7/2011 at 19:25

Hi All,
My husband & I will be travelling to Lao Cai Province in Vietnam in January. It has been suggested to us that we might want to skip Bac Ha Markets in favour of the smaller & less 'touristy' Can Cou markets.
Has anybody been to either or both? Which did you prefer? While we are not overly adventurous, we do like to get off the tourist track a little.
Happy to hear any honest opinions & suggestions you may have.

Thanks Tessie

#1 Tessie has been a member since 13/7/2011. Posts: 8

Posted by violets on 25/7/2011 at 08:12

Can Cou market is quite touristy these days. It's small so the influx of tourists makes a big difference. About half the market is given over to tourist stalls run by people from Bac Ha who run the same stalls at Bac Ha market. Because it is small the tourists, with their huge camera lenses poked in local's faces, seemed quite offensive. Bac Ha market is much bigger and has all the things the smaller market has, and all the people too, and more. It becomes very crowded after 10am when the hoards of tourists arrive from Sapa. Both markets are easier to manage and more pleasant very early, which really means staying overnight in Bac Ha. The tourist facilities are not many so it pays to book ahead.

#2 violets has been a member since 6/7/2009. Posts: 151

Posted by joannemahoney on 25/7/2011 at 17:25

Thanks, Violet. We are starting to lean towards Bac Ha, because it fits better into our itinerary. We only have a small amount time in the area as well. Thanks for your input.

#3 joannemahoney has been a member since 16/6/2011. Posts: 7

Posted by chick05 on 25/7/2011 at 23:40

Posted from within Vietnam.

Great. Voted for Violets. I have the same idea that Bac Ha market is better with amazing photos with many corners.
Enjoy the trip !

#4 chick05 has been a member since 25/7/2011. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.