Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

What to do in Hanoi

Posted by Aaron88 on 23/8/2011 at 18:24

Hi,

I will be travelling to Vietnam from 19/12/2011 to 23/12/2011. I will be staying in hanoi for these dates but I am looking at going on a cruise for one night at Halong bay

I am seeking advise on the following below:

Activities to do in hanoi during the day and night
Good hotels to stay at in a reasonable price range
cheapest and best way to travel around town
things to look out for
what tours are good
Is it best to book tours in Australia or when we are there?
Is it best to leave the druise at halong bay at the last day or the trip or do it in the beginning

Any feedback and thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

#1 Aaron88 has been a member since 22/8/2011. Posts: 5

Posted by chinarocks on 23/8/2011 at 20:42

Aaron, the best thing to do in Hanoi , and I'm not being smart here, is nothing!! There is a good feature on this website about Hanoi and what to do, or not to do. I'm sure you can find it easy enough. Hanoi is all about soaking up the atmosphere in the back alleys, eating the local food (spring rolls and pho - to die for) and drinking lovely fresh 20c a glass beer.

Sure there are museums and the like if you want to go and see them and the big lake is recommended for a walk around, especially early in the morning. But Hanoi is all about relaxing and embracing the place and people.

For accomodation, try:
Travelmate Hanoi Hotel
12 Chan Cam Street,
Hoan Kiem,
Hanoi 00844,
Vietnam

Jackie, the owner, is a really nice guy and will book HB tours for you too.

#2 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by MADMAC on 23/8/2011 at 21:37

I don't know if you dance, but if you do, this lady teaches there and there's a small Salsa scene there. So if you are looking for something to do at night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEA9mkRBqeE

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by glomer on 24/8/2011 at 00:43

We were in Hanoi for a few days last year and absolutely loved it! I agree with Chinarocks that the best thing to do is walk around and absorb the atmosphere. We stayed at the mid-range Hanoi Elegance Ruby Hotel in the Old Quarter, and it was extraordinary. I also highly recommend the cooking courses offered by Hidden Hanoi.

#4 glomer has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 86
 Send glomer a private message 

Posted by travellingsarah on 24/8/2011 at 12:06 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

This website is here to give you exactly the information you ask for above. Look at the accommodation listings, the sights page, the features. the forum posts and the 60 (and counting) blogs about Hanoi. Sure, people might want to add their own views - as the posters have done above - but you'll get a helluva lot more info by doing a bit of searching.

#5 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by janice107 on 24/8/2011 at 16:31

i have seen one topic written some information related to your question. you can take a look at the follow link for mor opinion: http://vietnamcommunitytravel.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/explore-the-gulf-of-tokin-on-the-5-%E2%80%93-star-yacht/
hope it helpful!

#6 janice107 has been a member since 10/8/2011. Posts: 9

Posted by MADMAC on 24/8/2011 at 17:24

Janice
That must be my post, which provided an answer to this question:

Activities to do in hanoi during the day and night

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by sagemode on 3/9/2011 at 18:41

You can try really good French food at affordable prices. Set lunches cost about VND 250,000 per person.

Some restaurants that I tried and were really good are

La Badiane
10 Nam Ngu | Hoan Kiem, Hanoi, Vietnam
Green Tangerine
48 Hang Be, Hanoi, Vietnam

#8 sagemode has been a member since 17/7/2011. Posts: 11

Posted by Rasheeed on 5/9/2011 at 08:56

Coffee, bia hoi, and sitting around. I love Hanoi.

'sheeed

#9 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Send Rasheeed a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by Marget_love on 8/9/2011 at 15:24

Hi Arron,
I agree with Magmac bout idea dancing. Actually, I love Salsa as much as having oxygen to breath :d
But in my opinion, try to discover Hanoi at night and go around smallest corner as you could as well.
So many things attractive is waiting you and yr friend :D

With passion and love,
Good day

#10 Marget_love has been a member since 8/9/2011. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.