Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vinh Moc tunnels from Hoi An?

Posted by stefanw on 19/9/2011 at 10:30

I'm wondering what the travel time from Hoi An to the Vinh Moc tunnels are and if anyone has done it. I probably doubt many people has organised tours from there but I could be wrong.

Is it worth it?

#1 stefanw has been a member since 10/12/2010. Posts: 50

Posted by busylizzy on 20/9/2011 at 03:23

I'm not sure about travel time from Hoi An, but I went from Hue, and I thought they were worth the effort to get there from there. It ended up being an all day trip on the back of a motorbike, but we stopped at various places of interest along the way. I thought the tunnels were fascinating... but do try to get there before the tour buses arrive. Or at least, wait for their group to go through first.

We ended up going through the tunnels at a leisurely pace with an extended Vietnam family and using the tunnel guide as an interpreter and travellers hand signals, the woman was able to tell us a little bit about her time living through the war. Just after we got through, a large tour group arrive. Excellent timing!

I have heard that the Vinh Moc tunnels are better than the ones in Saigon in that more of the tunnels have been left in their original state, for what it's worth.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.