Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Posted by adamwsmith on 12/2/2007 at 10:41

Posted from within Vietnam.

HElp, I'm doing the Northwest Loop by motorbike. Ive got to Son La, from Mai Chau and Hanoi. I've just discovered that the is no ATM here in Son La, and I'm repidly running out of cash. Does anyone know if there is an ATM which takes UK credit cards (Visa) in Dien Bin Phu or Sapa.

Thanks, and fingers crossed.

#1 adamwsmith has been a member since 6/10/2006. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/2/2007 at 21:54 admin

You're probably getting this message too late, but I'm pretty sure the answer is No! How did you fare?

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,644
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by CatBa on 5/3/2007 at 01:09

Good luck. I worked there for 6 months and developed an intimate relationship with the bank tellers in DBP.

Hope none of your remaining bills are Dong100,000 or Dong500,000 as only the banks will know what to do.

You can negotiate cash with your credit card at some banks - the VietComBank is really great for this but allow two days.

#3 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by adamwsmith on 5/3/2007 at 16:59

Everything turned out ok. AFter wandering around for ages looking for one, and only being directed to the AGribank atm (which doesn't ake Visa), a helpful tour guide popped up and took me to the Visa ATM. It's strainght down the main road from Song La, then bear left at the big roundabout and it's on the right hand side of the road.

Was much relieved.

#4 adamwsmith has been a member since 6/10/2006. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.