There are a lot of great films from Hollywood as well as from talented filmmakers within Vietnam. Many are clearly about the war. Local filmmakers like Tony Bui and Tran Ahn Hung have helped to break that cycle.
Here's a short list:
1. Full Metal Jacket
2. Apocalypse Now
4. Vietnam in HD (New Doc series on History Channel)
5. Scent of Green Papaya
7. The Quiet American (2002 Michael Caine version)
and to round out the region...
8. City of Ghosts (Cambodia- My personal favorite)
9. The Killing Fields (Laos)
10. Bangkok Girl (Thailand)
11. The Beach (A better read, but a pre-requisite for any backpacker in SE Asia)
MikeTV's list is brilliant (I am going to check out "City of Ghosts" right away), but may I add one more? The director of "The Scent of Green Papaya" later made a movie called "At the Height of Summer" (in some translations "The Vertical Ray of Summer"): totally exquisite.
#5 blvdve has been a member since 27/12/2011. Posts: 4