Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Malaria

Posted by greenman on 5/3/2007 at 15:02

Hi all I am travelling around Vietnam for some 18 days, and was wondering about malaria protection.

I have been to my doctor’s and the prescription for 29 tablets is around £90 (USD162). Is it wise to wait until I get arrive in Vietnam and purchase over the counter (is it cheaper) if I can or is this stupid and I should get in UK

Thanks

#1 greenman has been a member since 8/1/2007. Posts: 2
 Send greenman a private message 

Posted by steviej on 5/3/2007 at 19:34

Hi Greenman,

Have you tried boots.com, they have an online facility for ordering private prescriptions (I assume that's what you have). Although you don't specify which anti-malarials your gonna get I found Boots to be the cheapest.

The web-page is: https://www.boots.com/pharmacy/online_prescription_process.jsp?

TTFN
stevie

#2 steviej has been a member since 18/3/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 266
 Send steviej a private message   Where has steviej been?   Website 

Posted by steviej on 5/3/2007 at 19:36

Forgot to add that somebody will be along soon to give you advice regarding buying in S.E.Asia as I'm still sat at home...............

#3 steviej has been a member since 18/3/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 266
 Send steviej a private message   Where has steviej been?   Website 

Posted by CatBa on 5/3/2007 at 22:01

Drug stores / chemists in VietNam are not permitted to sell anti-malarials although travellers are permitted to bring their own supply.

If you are only following the HCMC / SaiGon Ha Noi route there is little need for tablets.

Many, including myself (I reside here), use double-doses of Vitamin B which make human bodies omit an odour that mosquitoes find unpleasant. Humans cannot detect this odour.

To minimise your attraction to the malarial mosquitoes you should wash your feet daily and wear clean socks. Cover your arms and ankles at dawn and dusk, tighten your collar after applying Deet 35% based repellent.

#4 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.