Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Visa Question

Posted by Twerto on 10/1/2012 at 20:20

Hi, I am going to be travelling to Vietnam in August/ September of this year for 3 - 4 weeks and as part of the trip i am planning to go to Thailand for 2 weeks on the back of it.

Since it is cheaper to fly back to Hanoi where i am flyning to from the uk rather than get two singles I was wondering what type of Visa I should apply for? how how best to go about it. I will be in Vietnam for approx 21 days then travelling to Thailand for 14 days with 7 days going through Cambodia mainly to see Angkor Wat. 6 weeks in total.

#1 Twerto has been a member since 20/11/2011. Posts: 37
 Send Twerto a private message 

Posted by daawgon on 10/1/2012 at 22:48

If you pass Viet Immigration more than once, you need a multiple-entry visa. I've always used the VOA online application, and Hanoi is a better airport for that than Saigon. Have you thought about an open jaw ticket rather than a roundtrip - often about the same price as a roundtrip, and you don't have to backtrack to the starting point just to fly out + your visa cost will be only for a single-entry visa. For instance, you could possibly get an open jaw ticket into Hanoi and out of Bangkok or Siem Reap. This is what I'm planning on doing for my next trip, since I want to travel to Bangkok, Luang Prabang and Hanoi.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,152
 Send daawgon a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by Twerto on 12/1/2012 at 11:09

Thanks Daawgon for your advice. I will head off and check out Open Jaw flights now and see how I get on.


#3 Twerto has been a member since 20/11/2011. Posts: 37
 Send Twerto a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.