Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Where should a backpacker spend Tet?

Posted by MikeTV on 15/1/2012 at 19:05

Posted from within Vietnam.

Any advice on where to go and what to do during the week of Tet? I'm currently in Mui Ne and will probably be headed to HCMC unless pursuaded to do otherwise. What's a backpacker to do?

#1 MikeTV has been a member since 6/12/2011. Posts: 10
 Send MikeTV a private message 

Posted by nesloc on 15/1/2012 at 20:53

Try to go to provinces in the mekong delta and celebrate the lunar new year with the locals, it will be an awesome journey as the people are warm and nicer. we are a hotel with clean room, modernly designed rooms and reasonable price. we can accommodate you during this festive season

#2 nesloc has been a member since 15/1/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 22/1/2012 at 09:21

I just arrived here in Saigon this arvo and am wondering much the same thing. I could have sworn Tet was starting on Tuesday, but evidently it's Tet-eve tonight (Sunday). I'm somewhere downtown in the touristy bit of what I think is district 1 and it doesn't seem to be going off as much as I would've thought.

I'm comparing it to the typical New Year's vibe I'm used to in Sydney, Aus, so maybe it all happens in the days proceeding after tonight?

Any recs for where to go/what to do in the big city?

#3 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Send CrankyCarrot a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.