Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

local currency or USD Langkawi, Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia,

Posted by samsmithsurfs on 21/2/2012 at 00:41

Hey there, 3 of us are travelling to Langkawi, Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia, and I am trying to work out currency to buy. I'm wondering how widely USD are accepted, or is it better to get a debit card and withdraw local currency? In Luang Prabang, do I need to buy some KIP? or use USD (small purchases like meal in town, water, taxi etc)
Also, I've heard that in Siem Reap, Cambodia USD is accepted for everything - taxi, tuk tuk, meals in town etc. Is this right? I'd love any suggestions re cash / debit card etc.
Also, another question, what's the best way to deal with lots of photos/images on SD cards. A previous trip we had a laptop and just downloaded photos at the end of the day and then reformatted cards. We won't have luxury of laptop this time. I was wondering if anyone can give me suggestions. At home I use a card reader and download images to that way.
Thanks a lot for any advice

#1 samsmithsurfs has been a member since 21/11/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by chinarocks on 21/2/2012 at 03:50

Of the 4 countries you list, USD is the official currency of only one of those - Cambodia (jointly with the riel). So yes, what you heard about Siem Reap (and the rest of the country for tha tmatter) is correct.

I generally operated in the local currency in the remaining countries for the simple reason that that was what the ATMs dispensed.

#2 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by caseyprich on 21/2/2012 at 17:40

Reminder: make sure to inform your bank that you'll be traveling to these countries. It is easiest to simply use the ATM as chinarocks says, but I always bring a few hundred just to make I have some cash in case something goes wrong.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by chopin on 22/2/2012 at 15:31

It is true that for South East Asian countries, use the local currencies. For Cambodia, even if the USD is accepted at most hotels & motobikes, it would still be good to have some Riels to pay for food and drinks or groceries as some shops charge tourists higher prices than the locals when paying in USD. For Vietnam, the dong would be the preferred currency, but USD is accpted (& preferred) for most hotels.

#4 chopin has been a member since 28/4/2007. Posts: 154
 Send chopin a private message 

Posted by samsmithsurfs on 23/2/2012 at 20:10

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, have organised a CC, debit card and a little cash. cheers

#5 samsmithsurfs has been a member since 21/11/2011. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.